Markham communities represent the full range of human experience, from all stages of life, abilities and ethno-cultural backgrounds. To serve them better, Markham needs to develop a clear strategy and related policies to:
- Promote unity and inclusiveness
- Provide programs and services that address the diverse needs of Markham residents.
Here's our plan:
Create a Diversity Action Plan
The Diversity Action Plan was developed through extensive public consultation and contains 68 recommendations that will further strengthen our commitment towards inclusion and celebrating our diversity.
With that goal in mind, the Plan pays particular attention to the needs of four communities of focus; youth, newcomers and visible minorities, seniors and persons with disabilities.
Markham Council approved the Diversity Action Plan on June 15, 2010.
Markham Diversity Action Plan [PDF, 3.9 MB/35p]
If you have any questions or comments regarding the Diversity Action Plan, please contact Cheryl McConney -Wilson, Diversity Specialist, City of Markham, at 905-477-7000 extension 2557 or CMcConney-Wilson@markham.ca
Engage Markham’s diverse communities and foster a greater understanding of diversity across Markham through community partnerships.
- 4 City Advisory Committees focused on diversity
- Partnerships with York Region Police, Boards of Education, Maytree Foundation, Toronto Region Immigrant Employment Council (TRIEC), York Region Immigration Strategy, Council of Municipalities against Racism and Discrimination
Enhancing Markham's boards and committees.
- Winner of the Maytree Foundation’s Diversity in Governance Award
- Board and Committee Appointment Policy in place
Find ways to make Markham services more accessible.
- New single stall, universal washrooms in the Civic Centre
- Multilingual services at contact centre, a communication line and our own volunteer staff interpreters
- Enhanced accessibility seating at Flato Markham theatre
Develop an effective communications plan.
- Revised information present on Portal and added demographic data including ward specific data based on 2011 census information.
- Ongoing consideration of diverse promotion techniques
Engage and educate Markham staff.
- Currently conducting mandatory Diversity and Inclusion training across the organization
- Ongoing staff workshops on topics such as: Hinduism, Chinese Culture, Abrahamic Religions, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Communities.