The Building Excellence Awards are presented annually to new home builders that demonstrate compliance with the Building Code regulations, the Building Code Act, and conduct exemplary site administration.
The following home builders received Markham's Building Excellence Award in 2011. The award is based on a new home builder’s construction record within Markham and a Green Building summary for the year 2010. Recipients must score an average 95% or higher to qualify.
2011 Building Excellence Award Winners with Mayor Frank Scarpitti (front row center), Regional Councillor Jim Jones (front row left), Ward 3 Councillor Don Hamilton (front row right) and Development Services staff at 11th Annual Markham Building Excellence Awards Presentation.
2011 Building Excellence Award Winners
Small Volume (5 – 24 dwelling units):
- Baywood Homes
- Flato Developments
- Laurier Homes (Windsong) Ltd.
Large Volume (25+ dwelling units):
- 1644138 Ontario Inc. (Times Group/Life Construction)
- Cathedraltown (Andrin Woodbine Homes Limited)
- Arista Homes (Boxgrove) Inc.
- Monarch Corporation
- Paradise Homes Windsong Corp.
- Great West/Castle Rock (Southoak Estates Inc.)
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible to win?
Builders of new homes in Markham are eligible to for the Building Excellence Award. Home builders are selected in 2 categories: Small Volume (5-24 dwelling units), Large Volume (24+ dwelling units).
- What criteria are used to evaluate a new home builder?
- Number of dwelling units constructed
- Building permits obtained prior to starting construction
- Mandatory inspections requested by the builder and performed by the inspector
- Registration with Tarion Warranty Corporation and ZERO claims or chargeable conciliations filed against the builder
- Number of inspections that required more then two visits to achieve compliance with the Ontario Building Code:
- Number of inspections requested by the builder that were ready when inspector arrived at the job site
- Dwelling units occupied with Markham approval
- Number of inspections completed
- Percentage of new home construction inspected by building inspectors.
Building Inspector Administrator
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, Ontario L3R 9W3
Phone: 905-477-7000 extension 2717