The Markham Centre Development Principles, created in 2002, set the standard.
Markham Centre will set a new standard for 'smart growth' that:
- Celebrates Markham's community values;
- Enhances Markham's quality of life;
- Will be sustainable for future generations
- Protects and enhances our natural environment;
- Is built on transit and existing infrastructure;
- Will enhance the economic vitality of our community.
Markham's growth management strategy directs growth to defined areas and concentrates mixed use, high density growth in our new Centre:
The City of Markham has made fundamental choices in its management of growth. While historically built through sequential expansions as growth demanded, a conscious decision was made that continuing the outward expansion would not provide for the protection of the rural and environmental lands and quality of life that Markham residents have come to expect. A fundamental decision was made to manage sustainable growth through limited outward expansion and inward growth into a Centre which would support intensive activity at a scale that will sustain rapid transit.
Markham Centre is centrally located and will embody new urbanism principles to deliver:
- Diverse employment opportunities;
- A choice of housing opportunities for empty nesters, singles and young families;
- Live, work, play and learn opportunities;
- Pedestrian-oriented spaces and walkable streets;
- Compact urban form;
- A range of retail and service uses;
- Protection of the Rouge River valley system;
- A human scale community;
- Transit-supportive development;
- A strong community focus.