Leading Edge Design
Markham Centre's development is premised on New Urbanism principles - mixed land use, compact urban form, transit, live/work relationships, pedestrian-orientation, grid network of streets; centre and edges in each community; emphasis on the public realm and a high quality of urban design.
Sustainable Intensification in Markham Centre will create a vibrant, human scale, mixed use City Centre. It will set a new standard in "smart growth" that will enhance the economic vitality of our community; will be sustainable for future generations; will protect and enhance our natural environment; will be built on transit and existing infrastructure; and celebrates Markham's community values and quality of life.
Sustainable communities and smart growth plans are supported by the Ontario Government as a vision for fostering and managing growth. Based on building strong communities, strong economies and a clean and healthy environment fostered on the principles of: LIVE, WORK, PLAY and LEARN.
For more information check out the associated links:
- Canadian Urban Institute - www.canurb.com
- Federation of Canadian Municipalities - www.fcm.ca
- Canadian Green Building Council - www.cagbc.org
- U.S. Building Council - www.usgbc.org
- Markham Green Print and Sustainability Plan
- City of Toronto, Sustainability - www.sustainability.ca
- Markham District Energy- www.markhamdistrictenergy.com, owned by the City of Markham, owns and operates an EcoLogo certified community energy system that produces local and sustainable heating and cooling energy and electricity. As the City of Markham continues to grow, MDE is committed to serving the urban centres of the expanding municipality. Currently, two local energy plants are operating in Markham Centre, and a third energy plant is underway to begin serving Markham East.