Markham’s Building and Development Plan Review Goes Online
In a phased approach beginning summer 2017, the City of Markham will introduce a new electronic-based, online submission, review and approval process for building and development applications requiring review and approval.
Markham ePLAN will combine paperless end-to-end automation of the application, drawing submission, review and approval processes – within the City’s established electronic systems.
With ePLAN, your plans, drawings, studies and reports will be automatically circulated for simultaneous review and collaboration with city staff as you work toward having your building/development application approved.
Who should use ePLAN?
Phase I begins in Summer 2017 for a range of building and planning applications:
|Residents||Home additions, decks/fences, swimming pool enclosure, any type of building permits|
|Developers and Builders||Non-residential ICI properties; low density residential development; large-scale mixed-use, multi-residential projects|
|Business Owners||Modifications to existing business requiring building permit (e.g. tenant fit-up, plumbing alterations)|
|Park Consultants||Designers and developers of Markham parks|
How does ePLAN work?
Once fully launched in July, ePLAN will offer a convenient two-step process:
- Online Portal (City Website)– Access the Markham ePLAN online portal from any computer any time to create an account, submit an application, pay fees, upload documents, plans and renderings into the ePLAN system and track your status of the application. From there, the review and approval of all documents will be completed digitally with no need for special software on your end.
- Plan Review System – Notice will be sent to you to indicate the City has completed our review. Click on the link to see the review and mark-up of plans by City staff. Make revisions to the plans, collaborate with City staff as necessary addressing each mark-up and resubmit plans for further review. Continue this cycle until plans are ready for approval. Once complete, the plans will be automatically stamped and you will be notified by email to download plans.
ePLAN means efficiency
ePLAN paves the way for efficiency – both users and City staff will enjoy improved efficiencies including:
- Reduced travel to City Hall
- Reduced use of paper, fuel and carbon emissions
- Cost savings with reduced need for printing, copying and couriers
- Only internet access is required – no additional software needed for residents, builders and developers
- Reduced need for office space to review and store paper plans
- Faster turnaround time for approvals
- Improved record keeping and accuracy throughout process
- New opportunities to collaborate electronically/digitally
Questions? Looking for more information?
We know learning a new process can take time and require assistance. If you have questions about using ePLAN for building applications, contact:
Markham’s Building Standards Department
101 Town Centre Blvd. Markham, ON L3R 9W3 (use the Milliken entrance)
For planning applications, contact:
Markham’s Planning Department
101 Town Centre Blvd. Markham, ON L3R 9W3 (use the Thornhill entrance)