Planning to renovate, build new or make repairs? Not sure if you need a building permit? Please contact one of our Permit Application Administrators at 905-475-4870 with the details of your work or review our typical projects list below.
What Projects Require a Building Permit
The following is a list of typical projects or situations that require the issuance of a building permit prior to construction:
- Construct a new building greater than 10m2 in building area (the area of the building's footprint)
- Construct an addition to an existing building
- Construct a deck*
- Detached or attached garages and carports
- Addition of a dormer
- Pool enclosure around a swimming pool
- Demolish any building greater than 10m2
- Remove a structural wall in any dwelling
- Renovation of any structural alteration
- Change the use of a building
- Changing the fuel source of a fireplace from gas-fired to solid burning (wood)
- Alter an existing building or it's plumbing system
- Repair a building or it's plumbing system
- Add or remove a structural wall in a dwelling
- Complete a roughed-in bathroom or washroom
- Complete a roughed-in fireplace
- Raising a dwelling to provide a full basement
- Install new plumbing in a building or part thereof
- Repair or install an on-site sewage system
- Install a new furnace utilizing a new fuel source, i.e. Electrical to natural gas
- Install a solid fuel burning appliance, i.e. Wood burning stove or masonry fireplace
- Install a sign
- Connection of a underground lawn sprinkler system to the plumbing system of a building
*Decks in the rear yard less than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) in area, do not require a building permit. Decks larger than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) and all decks more that 600 mm (2' - 0") above average grade do require a building permit.
What Projects Don't Require a Building Permit?
It is not necessary to obtain building permits to perform the following work. However, you must still comply with the requirements of the Markham Zoning By-laws and if applicable, the Ontario Building Code.
Erect a fence, other than a pool enclosure fence. Compliance with the Town Fence Bylaw is required. Please Note: Building permits are required to erect a pool enclosure fencing in accordance with the Swimming Pool Bylaw.
Retaining walls less than 1 meter in height
Planters and landscaping
Air conditioning units or heat pumps added to existing systems
Replacement plumbing fixtures
Replacement hot water heaters (note the requirement to limit hot water to 49°C after September 2004)
Kitchen or bathroom cupboards
Painting, decorating and general maintenance
Replacing roof shingles on a residential dwelling
Replacement furnaces provided the new and old furnaces have similar heat output and use the same fuel
Accessory buildings (storage sheds) not greater than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) in area. Compliance with the Town's zoning bylaw for property line setbacks is required.
*Decks in the rear yard less than 10m2 (108 sq. ft.) in area, do not require a building permit.
Visit Plans Examination for more information.