2014 Election Rebate Program Information
Important Update Regarding Mailed Rebate Cheques
Rebate Cheques for individuals that contributed to eligible Candidates in the 2014 Municipal Election are now being issued and mailed. Cheques with “Rebate 14” indicated in the tear off portion of the cheque mean that they are from contributions made to Candidates during the 2014 Municipal Election.
If you contributed to a candidate who participated in the rebate program and were expecting a rebate but have not received a rebate cheque by September 8, 2015, contact Kiran Saini by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at 905-477-7000 extension 4290.
To Receive a Rebate:
- Contributors must be individual residents in Ontario and the Candidate to whom they are making a contribution must participate in the rebate program.
- Contribution must be in the form of cash, cheque, money order or credit card.
- Corporations or Trade Unions may contribute to a candidate's campaign, but are not eligible for a rebate from the City.
- Keep your contribution receipt, you are not required to mail or bring it to the City of Markham.
- Rebate cheques will not be issued to contributors to the following campaigns as the Candidates failed to file the required documentation by the deadline.
- Murugesu, Vasu
- Sharma, Shusmita
- Sivagnanam, Siva
The maximum rebate to any one contributor will not exceed $350.00 in total, regardless of the number of Candidates a person contributes to.
Under Markham’s rebate program, the net contribution from the contributor made at a fundraising event qualifies for a rebate. For example, if a contributor donates $400 to a Candidate during a fundraising event and the cost of the event was $200, the amount eligible for a rebate (i.e. “net contribution”) is $200 ($400-$200=$200). The City uses the below formula to calculate the rebate cheque. In this example, the rebate cheque is calculated based on a $200 net contribution and the cheque would be issued for $150 (i.e. 75% of $200).
The rebate is calculated as follows:
$50.00 to $300.00
Rebate is 75% of the contribution to a maximum of $225.00
$301.00 to $550.00
Rebate equals $225.00 plus 50% of contribution between $300.00 and $550.00 to a maximum of $350.00
Greater than $550.00 up to the maximum contribution of $750.00
Maximum rebate is $350.00
Did you recently move?
To ensure you receive a rebate cheque, email Kiran Saini at email@example.com with the following information:
Your first and last name;
- The name of the Candidate you contributed to;
- Your old mailing address; and
- Your current mailing address.
Markham By-law 2009-198 allows the payment of a rebate to persons who made contributions to Candidates for Markham Council (Mayor, Regional Councillor or Ward Councillors) in the 2014 Municipal Election. The program does not apply to contributions made to school board Candidates. Candidates are required to follow the requirements of the Municipal Election Act, 1996 (Section 66 and 82) and comply with By-law 2009-198.
If a contributor makes a contribution of over $100.00, their name and address must be reported in the Candidate's financial statement and will be posted on the City's website.
Contributors may donate up to a maximum of $750.00 to an individual Candidate and a contributor shall not make contributions exceeding a total of $5,000.00 to Candidates for office on the same Council.