York University Campus
Get Ready for York U in Markham Centre
On May 20, the Province of Ontario announced that Markham was selected as the location for a new state-of-the-art York University campus. The campus will be situated in Markham Centre, providing easy access to transit, major employers, research centres and the new Markham Pan Am Centre. It will also
play an integral part in the City’s developing urban centre and allow students to benefit from an array of amenities nearby. York U – Markham Centre will be home to at least 4,000 students in eight different fields of study, including arts and media, information technology, liberal arts, environmental
studies and business. Certain programs will be offered in conjunction with Seneca College. The City of Markham will donate the land, while York University has committed $45M for its construction. The Regional Municipality of York has also committed up to $25M towards this exciting initiative.
The number of residents aged 18-21 in York Region will grow by 175,000 between now and 2036, making Markham a great location for a new post-secondary campus! The University will now work on the detailed planning and implementation phases of the project. A construction date has not yet been set.
On May 26, 2015 Markham Council established the City of Markham York University Markham Campus Committee comprised of all Members of Council.
At the June 15, 2015 General Committee the York University Markham Campus Committee appointed Mayor Frank Scarpitti and Regional Councillor Nirmala Armstrong as Co-Chairs of the York University Markham Campus Committee and Mayor Frank Scarpitti as Chair of the Committee meetings.
- February 25, 2016 - York University applauds Ontario’s efforts to improve access to post-secondary education
- May 20, 2015 - York U thrilled with the Government of Ontario’s approval to build a new York University campus in Markham
- September 11, 2014: Location and funding commitments announced for proposed York University Campus in Markham
- June 23, 2014: York U chooses Markham Centre as preferred location in the province’s university expansion
- York Region is one of Ontario’s fastest growing areas.
- Regional population is expected to grow to 1.5 million by 2031.
- York Region is the only municipality of its size in North America without a university campus.
- There are 48,421 York University graduates living in York Region.
- 44 of every 1,000 people living in York Region are York University grads.
- 5,000 students are expected to enroll within the first five years.
- Within 20 years, over 10,000 students may be on this urban campus.
- Almost 56 per cent of York Region’s 18 year olds enrolled at an Ontario university in fall 2011, the highest percentage of any Ontario region
- York Region is headquarters for four of Canada’s top 10 corporate R&D investors.
- 42,000 business establishments make York Region their home; it’s the second largest business centre in Ontario.
- York University Markham Campus Committee Meeting - September 26, 2016
- York University Markham Campus – Excerpt to General Committee – April 4, 2016
- York University Markham Campus Update to Council – March 1, 2016 Minutes
- York University Markham Campus Committee Meeting – January 25, 2016 Minutes [PDF]
- York University Markham Campus Committee Meeting - September 2015 Minutes [PDF]
- York University Markham Campus Committee Meeting - June 2015 Minutes [PDF]
- York University Markham Campus Update to Council - June 15, 2015 Minutes
- York University Markham Campus Update to Council - May 26, 2015 Minutes
- York University Markham Presentation - October 31, 2016 [PDF]
- VPA presentation to Markham Council - Campus Committee – September 26, 2016 [PDF]
- Update to Markham Council Steering Committee - September 26, 2016 [PDF]
- York University Campus Planning Update - May 30, 2016 [PDF]
- York University VPA and Provost at Markham Council - May 30, 2016 [PDF]
- Presentation - September 29, 2015 [PDF]
- Markham Council Final York University Markham Centre Campus Update - January 16, 2017 [PDF]