Cemetery Operator Licence #3310491
City of Markham Cemeteries By-law
The City of Markham has submitted Cemetery By-law 2012-178 [PDF] to the Registrar of the Funeral, Burial, and Cremation Services Act 2002 for Bethel-Lunau Cemetery, Buttonville Cemeteary, Eckardt Cemetery, First Markham Baptist Cemetery, Hagerman East Cemetery, Hagerman West Cemetery, St. John's 5th Line Cemetery, and Thornhill Cemetery. Any interested parties may contact Carlie Turpin, Access & Privacy Manager, at 905-477-7000 Extension 2082, for information or to make copies.
These by-laws are subject to the approval of the Registrar, Funeral, Burial, and Cremation Services Act, 2002. Cemeteries Regulation Unit may be reach by calling 416-326-8399.
The City of Markham manages 18 historical, pioneer and abandoned cemeteries. The operation of Markham Cemeteries is governed by the City By-law 178-93. [PDF]
Plot Sales & Burials
Markham has 5 active cemeteries where lots are still available for purchase and burials are permitted.
Interment Rights are available for purchase in:
Fees for all Markham Cemetery supplies and services, including the price of Interment Rights, are included in the City’s current price list. [PDF]
For plot sales and cemetery information please contact John Byer, Cemetery Coordinator, at 647-801-2752 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The administration in the Legislative Services Department act as a liaison with the members of the Markham’s Cemetery Board in matters of the annual budget, maintenance of the grounds and stones and the fees charged for lots and cornerstones. Individual files are maintained for each cemetery within the Legislative Services Department.
City of Markham contact - Carlie Turpin, 905- 477-7000 extension 2082 or e-mail: email@example.com
Other links: Ontario Genealogical Socity at http://www.ogs.on.ca/
Active Cemeteries in Markham
Historic Buttonville Cemetery lies on the east side of Woodbine Avenue, just south of 16th Avenue. It is the final resting place for many of the area's original pioneer families and dates from 1830.
John Button, a local landowner, donated land for a Wesleyan Methodist Church and burial ground, with a portion of the property set aside as a family burial site. He achieved the rank of Major in the local militia and died in 1861. Major Button's grave marker indicates he was 89 years of age.
The cemetery, located on the west side of McCowan Road, south of Highway 7, was originally part of the Eckardt Family farm. Still active today, the site dates back to the 1830's.
Located on the 9th Concession Road, north of Major Mackenzie Drive, the First Baptist Church dates back to the 1830's. A Baptist Church was built on the Miller Family Farm in the late 1840's and many of the Miller family are buried here. The Church was later moved and restored to become one of Markham's heritage buildings.
The cemetery lies on the west side of Kennedy Road, north of 14th Avenue, in a bustling part of Markham. The Hagerman family, original settlers to the area, donated a church, that sat on the site beside the cemetery, which, at the time, had been the private burial grounds of the family. The church was later replaced with a brick structure that was torn down in the 1920's.
Located on the east side of Warden Avenue, north of Steeles Avenue, this cemetery is all that remains of the original site. The frame church was destroyed by fire after a lightning strike in 1929, and not rebuilt. The first recorded burial was of a man who fell from the steeple of the Church.