Diversity- A Strategic Priority!
Diversity is one of the Markham's seven strategic priorities. These strategic priorities were identified through extensive community involvement and a number of action plans have been developed to support each of these priorities. The other priorities are:
- Growth management;
- Transportation and transit;
- Municipal services;
- Leisure master plan and public safety;
- The environment, and
- Economic development plan.
Markham is working to provide programs and services that address the diverse and varied needs of Markham residents and businesses, and to promote inclusion in the workplace and in the community. Our Diversity Action Plan [PDF]called “Everyone Welcome,” and the municipality’s commitment to United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) through the Coalition of Municipalities Against Racism and Discrimination (CMARD) are two guiding documents which allow us to make Markham an even stronger municipality that can bring its knowledge of how to value diversity in individuals, actions and thought to every interaction.
We encourage applicants who support diversity, inclusion and accessibility and are committed to exemplary customer service for all Markham residents and visitors.
The City of Markham welcomes applications from diverse backgrounds. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in an recruitment process please contact Human Resources to assist you.
Some of the Markham's achievements since the Diversity Action Plan was launched include:
- an internal staff Diversity Intranet Site
- Respect in the Workplace-Anti-Harassment training across the organization
- the launch of an external Portal with consideration of accessibility in the use of text size, colour, imagery and Google translate
- a youth mentoring program for new immigrants
- South Asian and Chinese food guide
- enhancements to the Markham's built environment to support Accessibility for Ontarians with Disability Act (AODA) legislation
Markham regularly hosts or partners with others to host numerous cultural events. Examples of these events include:
- Black History Month Awards,
- Canada Day Celebration,
- Channukah Menorah lighting Celebration,
- Chinese New Year Celebration,
- Christmas tree lighting Celebration,
- Junior Achievement’s Diversity Day,
- Many Faces of Markham,
- Markham Fair,
- Markham Festival,
- Milliken Children’s Festival,
- South Asian Heritage Month,
- Taste of Asia,
- Pride Week flag raising,
- Thornhill Festival,
- Unionville Festival, and
- Yom HaShoah.