New Employees (Regular Full Time Only)
Welcome to the City of Markham! We’re delighted that you’ve decided to join us. This site provides you with an overview of all the things that are important to know before you start your employment at the City.
Complete your New Hire Enrolment Package
Instructions: Download, print and complete the entire new hire enrolment package and bring the completed original hard copies of the forms with you to the “New Hire Enrolment Session” on your first date of employment. New employees are automatically registered for the session as part of the new hire process. The “New Hire Enrolment Sessions” are held every Monday* from 10:00 AM – 12 PM in the HR Meeting Room located on the 3rd floor of the Markham Civic Centre, 101 Town Centre Boulevard. Parking is available across from the Flato Markham Theatre, opposite a set of flags. Your attendance is mandatory. *If Monday falls on a holiday, the session will be held on the next business day.
New Hire Enrolment Package - Checklist
- Emergency Contact Information Form
- Direct Deposit Request/Change Form
- Tax Forms (Federal) | (Provincial)
- Group Benefits Enrolment Form – Please refer to the Instructions Sheet if you need assistance completing the form
- Paramedical Services Selection Form – For Non-Union Only
- Beneficiary Designation Form – For AD&D
- Statement of Health Form – For use only if purchasing Optional Life
- Language Survey
- New Employee – Request for Identification/Security Access (Please ensure that the completed form is signed by your manager on your first day of employment)
Other documents you need to submit on your first day
- Signed Offer of Employment (Original)
- Void cheque or Bank Account Verification/Direct Deposit Form
- Social Insurance Number (SIN)
We require a document that confirms your SIN number. This can be your SIN card, a letter from Service Canada confirming your SIN number or another government document (e.g. previous tax assessment).
- Date of Birth
We require proof of your date of birth. This can be provided to us by providing a scanned copy of one of the following: birth certificate, driver’s licence or passport.
- Driver’s Licence (if applicable)
If you are required to drive as part of your employment with the City, we will require a scanned copy your driver’s licence.
Review the New Employee Onboarding Toolkit
The New Employee Onboarding Toolkit is designed to provide you with the information and resources necessary for a smooth transition to the City of Markham. The toolkit will guide you through the onboarding process: your first day, your first week, your first month and beyond.
Review the New Employee Benefits Information Session (with audio)
The New Employee Benefits Information Session is a PowerPoint presentation with built in audio, and is designed to provide you with the information related to various components of Markham’s benefit programs – Extended Health and Dental Benefits, Life Insurance, OMERS Pension Plan etc. To activate the audio, simply double click on the speaker icon in the right hand corner of the page or view as slide show. Use this as a resource to help you complete your group benefits enrolment form.
- New Employee Benefits Information Session (with audio) [File Size: 83 MB]
Review the Sun Life Benefits Booklet
The Sun Life Booklet provides you with detailed information about the group benefits available to regular full time employees at the City of Markham. Examples of group benefits include extended health care, dental benefits and life insurance among others.
- Group Benefits Enrolment Form – Instructions Sheet
- Voluntary Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Brochure
The Voluntary AD&D Brochure provides you with detailed information about the AD&D insurance plan offered by the City of Markham. Participation in the program is strictly voluntary.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the new hire enrolment package, we will be happy to assist you during the new hire enrolment session. If you have any questions regarding this information before your first day, please contact your Human Resources Consultant.