The City of Markham understands that an interview process can sometimes be overwhelming for candidates. Below are some tips to interviewing success.
- Research – Read the job posting thoroughly and review the competencies required to perform the job duties. You will likely be asked questions about these areas.
- Anticipate tough questions. Prepare in advance so you can turn apparent weaknesses into strengths.
- Be prepared – Bring a copy of your resume and qualifications (first aid, HIGH FIVE® etc.)
- Arrive 15 minutes early. Late attendance is never excusable.
- Dress appropriately. Make your first impression a professional one.
During the Interview:
- Give your qualifications. Stress the accomplishments that are most pertinent to the job.
- Get the interviewer to describe the position and responsibilities early in the conversation so you can relate your skills and background to the position throughout the interview.
- Clarify questions. Be sure you answered the questions the employer really asked.
- Ask questions throughout the interview. An interview should be a mutual exchange of information, not a one-sided conversation. Prepare some questions to ask at the end of the interview.
- Listen. This is probably the most important ability of all. By concentrating not only on the employer's words, but also on the tone of voice and body language, you will be able to pick up on the employer's style.
- Conduct yourself professionally. Be aware of what your body language is saying. Smile, make eye contact, don't slouch and maintain composure.
- Relax and stay calm.
- Show your interest.
Below is a snapshot of the workshop objectives:
Resume writing and interview skills
- Purpose of a resume – What does a good resume look like, what content should be added to a resume? Customize a resume to the job description.
- Learn how to write an effective resume.
- Understand what the employer is looking for.
- How to prepare for the interview.
- Practice mock interviews.
Introduction to Recreation Camps
Learn the basics of a Camp Counsellor position
- Leadership (importance of proper role modelling, everybody can grow into the role of a leader)
- Teamwork (how it is important, using activities to demonstrate synergy and collaboration of ideas –“Survivor” activity)
Understand the importance of communication in a Camp Counsellor role
- Different forms of communication, reading body language, active listening, paraphrasing when needed.
- Activities to solidify skills and reiterate the important of topics mentioned above.
Learn the basic principles of Healthy Child Development
- How to interact with children and the importance of high five principles.