In December 2015, the firm of MNP LLP was appointed to a four-year term to provide Auditor General services following a rigorous selection process. MNP is the fifth largest business advisory and chartered accountancy firm in Canada. Geoff Rodrigues, a Partner with MNP, will be the new Auditor General for the City. Mr. Rodrigues brings over 15 years of experience to his new role and has led a wide range of audit and management consulting assignments including compliance and value-for-money audits, operational reviews and financial control audits for federal, provincial and municipal government, the private sector, and not-for-profit organizations.
The Auditor General will assist the City of Markham in its efforts to continue to provide quality of stewardship over public funds and for the achievement of value for money in programs and services to the residents of Markham. The Auditor General will play a role in maintaining the City’s strong track record of fiscal responsibility and a commitment to continuous improvement.
The appointment of an Auditor General is a discretionary decision of Council and in accordance with the Municipal Act, 2001 the Auditor General has the authority to:
- Have unrestricted access to records/documents;
- Full and free access to staff, the Mayor and Members of Council;
- Set frequencies, subjects and scopes of audit work; and,
- Obtain the necessary assistance of staff.
- Media Release - Markham Council Appoints New Auditor General - December 11, 2015
- Presentation to General Committee, April 13, 2015
- Report to General Committee, June 1, 2015
- Presentation & Report to General Committee, November 9, 2015
- Presentation to General Committee, December 7, 2015