Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan
What is the PTP Plan?
The Pre-authorized Tax Payment Plan allows for automatic withdrawals from your bank account in 4, 6 or 11 instalments* With no line ups, no late fees and no postage, this property tax payment option provides flexibility and total convenience for residents.
*Withdrawal dates vary based on payment plan chosen and will be displayed on your tax bill.
Why should I sign up for the PTP Plan?
It provides increased flexibility…
Choose from 4, 6 or 11 instalments – whichever payment option works best for you.
It’s more economical…
Eliminate the added cost of postage. Say goodbye to late fees and interest charges.
Never miss a payment or waste time waiting in line to pay your tax bill.
It allows for easier monthly financial planning…
Signing up for PTP is the easiest way to budget for your tax payments throughout the year.
What are my PTP Plan Options?
4 Instalment Plan
If you register for this plan, there will be two (2) payments for the interim tax bill in February and March and two (2) payments for the final tax bill in July and August (for residential properties) or October and November (for commercial/industrial properties). For payment dates, see your tax bill.
6 Instalment Plan
If you register for this plan, there will be three (3) payments for the interim tax bill from February to April and three (3) payments for the final tax bill from July to September (for residential properties) or October to December (for commercial/industrial properties). For payment dates, see your tax bill.
11 Instalment Plan
If you register for this plan, there will be five (5) monthly payments from February to June for the interim tax bill and six (6) monthly payments from July to December for the final tax bill. All payments will be withdrawn from your account on the first day of the month. This plan is available for residential properties only.
For Commercial/Industrial Properties
Only The 4 Instalment Plan or The 6 Instalment Plan are available.
PTP Example for a $5,000 tax bill:
*For sample purposes only. Interim and final instalment amounts will vary.
How do I register?
Apply online (transit number and account number required)
Step 1 - Download and print an application form
Step 2 - Attach a blank cheque marked “VOID” and indicate on the form if it is a personal or business cheque
Step 3 – Return application and cheque to:
PTP Plan – Tax Devision
City of Markham
101 Town Centre Blvd.
Submit your application before May 9, 2016 to be eligible for the program beginning with the 2016 Final tax bill.
- To be eligible for the PTP Plan, your tax account must be paid in full prior to applying.
- If you do not receive an interim or final PTP tax bill in the mail after applying, continue to pay your taxes through your regular payment option and call 905-477-5530.
- If you own multiple properties in Markham, complete one application per property.
- Line of credit accounts and credit card cheques cannot be used for pre-authorized payments.
- If you have sold your home, you must complete a Cancellation Form and reapply to the program with your new property information.
- To change your mailing address, complete the online Change of Mailing Address Form.
- If you wish to make changes to your banking information, complete a PTP Banking Information Change Form.
- Any changes to your account information must be submitted a minimum of 14 days prior to the next payment date.
- Other charges that are added to your tax bill cannot be paid through the PTP Plan and must be settled seprately.
- If a payment does not clear the bank, an administrative fee and interest (1.25% per month) will apply. Residents will be removed from the PTP Plan and returned to a regular 4 instalments plan after 2 payment infractions or if no replacement cheque is received after the first infraction.
- If you do not wish to participate in the PTP Plan, you can pay your taxes in 4 instalments through the following methods:
1. Online Banking through your Financial Institution
- Payments can be conveniently made online via major banks and financial institutions. To avoid late fees, make payments five business days prior to the due date.
2. In-Person Banking at your Financial Institution
- You can also make your payment in-person at your bank. To avoid late fees, make payments five business days prior to the due date.
3. By Mail via Postdated Cheque
- Ensure cheques are for the full instalment amount and are dated for the due dates. Include the remittance portion of the bill and Roll Number on the front of your cheque.
4. In Person at the Civic Centre
- Taxes may also be made to the cashiers at the Civic Centre, main floor (Thornhill entrance), Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.; and 7 p.m. on Thursdays.
To withdraw from the PTP program, complete a Cancellation Form.
For more information, contact a Customer Service Representative at 905-477-5530 or firstname.lastname@example.org