Markham Web Content Viewer (JSR 286)


Get a Marriage Licence

To get married in Ontario, a marriage licence is required. The City of Markham's Licensing Officer issues marriage licences in accordance with provincial requirements and City policies and procedures. Licences are valid for 90 days from date of purchase.

Wedding Services - City of Markham provides Wedding Services for both civil and religious ceremonies in the Wedding Chapel and the Wedding Room at the Markham Civic Centre, and for wedding arrangements at other locations. The City can also provide a registered officiate or a list of clergy members.

Enquiry: 905-475-4744

How To Apply For A Marriage Licence

Online Application Form

To reduce the time required to process your licence, you can complete the On-line Marriage Licence Application and pay the Marriage License Fee from your home computer. Once completed, the online application must be submitted in person to the Clerk’s Department at the City of Markham by both or one of the applicants with the required supporting documents for both applicants (including identification & divorce requirements). The marriage licence will be processed while you wait.

Paper Application Form

You can complete the paper Marriage Licence Application [PDF] and deliver it in person to the Clerk's Department at the City of Markham. Don't forget to bring the required identification for both you and your partner, and your application fee. Your application is processed while you wait.


Issued By: Clerk's Office, (main level)
The City of Markham
101 Town Centre Boulevard
(Warden Avenue & Highway 7)
Office Hours:

Monday to Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM

**Thursdays, 8:00 AM to 6:30 PM **

Licence Fee: $160.00 Payable by Cash, Debit & Credit Card (Interac service available)

For Both The Applicants:
Two pieces of identification are required from each party applying for a marriage licence (i.e. 4 pieces of identification are required for every application).

1st Piece of Identification

  1. Birth Certificate (with any applicable Change of Name Certificate)
  2. Current passport
  3. Canadian Citizenship Card
  4. Record of Immigrant Landing

2nd Piece of Identification - Must Be Government Issued Photo ID

For Example: Photo Driver's Licence

All identification presented must be original (photocopies are not acceptable). Documents in a language other than English or French must be translated by a certified translator.

Canadian Divorce: If a previous marriage was dissolved or annulled within Canada:
The original or court certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce must be submitted. A divorce judgment is not acceptable. Certified copies may be obtained from the Court which granted the divorce.
Foreign Divorce: If a divorce was granted outside of Canada, a foreign divorce kit [PDF] may be obtained from our offices.
Interpreters: If you do not understand or read English, you must provide your own interpreter and he/she must provide identification.
Expiry Date: A marriage licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of 3 months from the date of issue.
Marriage Ceremony: It is your responsibility to arrange the marriage ceremony of your choice. Whether you want a simple civil ceremony, a large formal wedding or something in between, the City of Markham can help you plan the perfect day, from marriage licence to reception and photography.
Photography Permits

Beyond the Civic Centre, the City of Markham's outdoor wedding photography locations have become so popular the City now offers photography permits ($127.50 for 1 hour) so that you can reserve your preferred location for your exclusive use. Permitted locations include:

Photography permits are not required for our many other picturesque parks




Back to Top