1000 Books Before Kindergarten
Help your child learn the early literacy skills needed for success in school! 1000 Books Before Kindergarten is a self-paced program for parents with young children. In this program, parents and caregivers read with their children and track their reading progress along the way. Children receive stickers as they advance. Every story you read with your child moves you one step closer to your goal of 1,000 books!
Reading regularly with young children supports brain development and strengthens parent-child relationships. Your child builds language, literacy and social skills when you read aloud. Children who enter kindergarten with essential pre-reading skills have an advantage. They start school ready to read and have greater success throughout their school years.
Register Here Track Your Reading
How it Works:
How Does 1000 Books Before Kindergarten work?
- Register. All you need is your library card and PIN. Once you’ve registered, visit your local branch to receive your log book and achievement tracker. Any child from birth until he or she enters kindergarten can participate in the program. Please view our YouTube instructional video or ask library staff if you require assistance with setting up your profile.
- Track Your Reading. There are two ways to track your reading. You can track your reading on paper, using the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten log book or you can track online by signing in to your profile . Each time you read a story with your child record it either in the log book or online. If your child wants to hear the same story more than once, record the title each time you read that story.
- Show Us Your Reading Log. For every 100 stories you and your child read, show us your reading log and you will receive a sticker and a new log book. If you are tracking your reading online, you will receive a virtual sticker (though we encourage you to also visit the branch to receive the real thing). You can log stories read at home, stories read by teachers at preschool or daycare and even stories read at a library storytime.
- Join us for Meet-Ups. Let us set up a play date for you! MPL hosts meet-ups where you and your child will have the opportunity to meet and socialize with other participants, build social networks, share parenting tips, or hear from experts. Sessions rotate from branch to branch. Details for the meet-ups are included in the monthly newsletter.
- Share your Journey. We invite you to share your 1000 Books Before Kindergarten journey on Twitter. Share your accomplishments, photos, thoughts, or whatever moves you! Use #1000books
The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten name and logo are used with permission from the 1000 Books Foundation.
Frequently Asked Questions [PDF]