The City of Markham welcomes and encourages all residents to participate in our recreation programs. Every effort will be made for the child or adult to participate in an integrated or adapted program. It is important to consider the participant’s ability when registering. If a participant requires a care giver or volunteer to assist them, one will be admitted to the service free of charge.
Register now for Wheelchair Basketball, Wheelchair Tennis, and Gym for Life classes beginning January 2014.
How do I know if support is required?
Consider the following when registering to help you decide if support is required:
- Extra support is required at school in the classroom
- A physical, development, and or learning disability exists
- Extra support is needed at home for basic care
- Participant is supported by an agency
- Participant has a safety plan with their educational institution
- There may be behaviours that need to be managed, ex: biting, pinching, slapping, running etc.
Participants will be required to complete a Special Needs Request Form to assist with integration. This will help our instructors adapt the program, and provide the best possible service. You are also welcome to provide your own support person. The following is a list of suggestions
- A support worker that is provided by a social service agency or the family
- A family member or friend
- A caregiver that is familiar with the participants needs and abilities, such as a nanny or babysitter
When requesting a volunteer through the City of Markham, please be aware of the following:
- A volunteer may not always be available during the day and time you have selected
- Volunteers are 14 and 15 years of age
- Volunteers do not support individuals with challenging behaviours
- Volunteers cannot provide lifts and transfers
- Volunteers cannot be alone with a participant.
- Provide encouragement during participation
- Break down instructions and program rules
- Repeat skills
- Be a buddy
- Provide a safe environment
Inclusion Support Staff:
Caregivers can hire paid support for one to one assistance. These individuals will be 16 years of age and older, have their Standard First Aid, experience working with various needs, and are High Five certified. Please note that there is a fee for this service.
How to Request a Volunteer for Recreation Programs:
You will need to request a volunteer by calling the Community Centre where you will be participating. Please provide us with at least 2 weeks notice.
For swimming programs, contact the pool where you have registered.
For additional information:
- Special Needs/Adapted Programs: Marsha Mariani, 905-477-7000 x 3930
- Markham Public Libraries: Andrea Cecchetto, 905-513-7977 x 4997
- Markham Museum: David Zambrano, 905-477-7000, x 3165
- Varley Art Gallery: Cheryl Rego, 905-477-9511, x 228
Fitness Centre Accesibility
Our Fitness Centres are accessible! We encourage everyone to join! Some benefits include:
- Kranck Cycles for the upper body
- Free weights and pulley selectorized pieces
- Whirlpool’s are 104° deg (not wheelchair accessible)
- Thornhill Therapeutic Pool 93 deg. Fully accessible
- Fitness staff are able to create and adapt a program specific to your needs.