Become a Volunteer
Become a Volunteer in 4 Steps!
- Create your online volunteer account.
- Complete an interview and/or a department specific training.
- Complete your online General Orientation Workshop.
- Provide a Police Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC).
Step 1 - Create your account
Click below on any department that interests you and fill in the application form. Once you create your account, you can use the same username and password to join more departments. Once you join a department, you will be able to sign-up for the department specific opportunities.
Share your enthusiasm of swimming by providing support and assisting our instructors with in-water delivery of our programs.
Express your passion for sport and recreation by helping people of all ages and abilities to participate in our programs and camps at our community centres.
If you are interested in contributing to creative expression and social health, provide your support to our programs and events at Flato Markham Theatre, Markham Museum, or Varley Art Gallery.
Support and enrich the delivery of our events and programs by promoting literacy and facilitating learning through creative activities at our libraries.
Assist with community events, and help residents learn about sustainable living and Greenprint – Markham’s Community Sustainability Plan.
Step 2 - Interview/Department Specific Training
Once you have created an account and joined a department, check the department’s page to find out if you need to complete an interview and/or department specific training.
Step 3 - General Orientation Workshop
We are now offering the General Orientation Workshop online. This training covers the City of Markham Volunteer Manual [PDF], which is required for all City of Markham volunteers. Complete the online General Orientation Workshop.
- Online training will take approximately 30-45 minutes to complete.
- You need to complete each section and pass the quiz at the end of the training course.
- Once you have started, you will not be able to pause or start over.
- If you experience difficulties in accessing the course, try a different browser or computer.
- This training is required every two years.
Step 4 - Police Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC)
Most of our positions require a Police Vulnerable Sector Check.