It’s Cold Out There! Be Kind to Your Collectors!
Winter is here! Cold and snowy weather can make curbside collection difficult and dangerous.
- Place containers where they can be clearly seen and safely collected
- Clear a spot at the curb for your blue boxes, green bin and garbage
- Never place on top or behind snow banks
- Keep containers out of the path of snowplows
- Bulky items should be loose and not frozen to the ground
Thank you from your Collectors!
Reduce wind-blown litter from your blue box!
- Put your material at the curb by 7 AM the morning of your collection day, instead of the night before
- Don't overload your blue box; keep material below the rim
- Bundle newspapers and place on top of lighter items
- Flatten small cardboard boxes (e.g. cereal or tissue boxes)
- Additional blue boxes can be purchased at any Markham Recycling Depotand you may also drop off your blue box recycling
- Write your address on your blue boxes in permanent marker – this makes it easier for them to be returned if they blow away
Reminder: Do not bag recyclables; material must be loose in your blue box. Plastic bags are not accepted in the blue box. Drop off your plastic shopping bags at any Markham Recycling Depot for recycling
Material must be set out at your curb by 7:00 am on your collection day or after 7:00pm the night before (Bylaw 32-95).
The green bin is collected every week on your regular collection day. Any plastic bag (grocery or compostable) is acceptable – material must be secured. No loose material.
The blue box is collected every week on your regular collection day. Loose, mixed recyclables can be placed directly in the blue box - do not bag!
Clear bag garbage is collected every other week on your regular collection day. Clear bags only! Electronics, batteries and hazardous waste are not collected at the curb.
Bulky items are collected every other week on your regular collection day. An appointment is NOT required.
Leaf and yard materials are collected every other week from March to December.
Recycle your old appliances and other metal items. An appointment is required. Fees may apply.
Assisted Recycling & Waste Collection Service is a no-cost program that promotes independent living and reduces the risk of injury to those in need of physical assistance.