Markham's Assisted Waste & Recycling Collection Service is a no-cost program that promotes independent living and reduces the risk of injury to those in need of physical assistance.
If you are a Markham resident unable to place your waste and recycling materials at the curb due to a temporary or permanent physical disability, and do not have someone living with you to assist, apply for Markham’s Assisted Waste/Recycling Collection Service.
A Markham collection contractor will come to a prearranged location on your property to pick up garbage, Green Bin, Blue Box, and leaf and yard materials on your scheduled collection day. Please continue to follow Markham's set out rules.
There is no fee for this service.
Eligibility and Application Process
Am I eligible for this service?
To qualify for this program, all individuals residing in your household must have a temporary or permanent physical disability making them unable to carry waste materials to the curb for collection. A current and valid doctor's certificate confirming the disability is required.
How do I apply?
If you are eligible to receive this service, please complete the application form and submit it to the City of Markham.
The application form is available:
- Online: Download and print the Assisted Waste/Recycling Collection Application Form (184k/1p).
Fill out section 1 and have your doctor fill out section 2 - the Physician's Certification portion.
- In Person: Visit the Contact Centre counter at the Markham Civic Centre (Unionville Entrance)
- Phone: Call us at 905-415-7535, Monday-Friday (8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.). We will mail you the application form and waiver.
Please mail, deliver, or email your completed application to:
City of Markham
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, ON L3R 9W3
Attn: Contact Centre - Assisted Waste Collection
Email your completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
How will my application be processed?
Waste & Environmental Management staff will contact you within one week of receiving your application. The application process includes a home visit where Markham staff work with you to determine the collection location for your materials and provide you with a service start date. At that time, approved applicants will be required to sign a liability waiver.
Why do I need to sign a Liability Waiver?
The Collection Service Waiver Form (58k/1p) is necessary to clarify any legal rights and responsibilities related to the collection service. Since it will be necessary for a Town employee or contracted agent to enter upon your property, the waiver serves as both permission to enter your property for the collection service and clarifies the legal responsibilities between you and the City of Markham.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can I receive the service?
City of Markham staff will review and reassess your application every 12 months.
This service will be terminated if the conditions of eligibility no longer apply or the applicant moves. It is your responsibility to let us know if you no longer need the service by contacting us at 905-415-7535.
What will the collection contractor pick up?
The collector will pick up the same materials we currently collected curbside in Markham at your prearranged location:
- Blue Boxes
- Green Bins
- Leaf and yard material
- Christmas trees
- Bulky items (e.g. furniture)
When will my materials by picked up?
Place your Green Bin, Blue Box and garbage outside at your prearranged collection location by 7:00 a.m. on your regularly scheduled collection day (no earlier than 7:00 p.m. the night before).
What if my collection is missed?
Once established, you must continue to use your set location to ensure collection. If your material is not picked up on your collection day, please notify the City at 905-415-7535.
What happens if it snows?
You must maintain a snow-cleared walkway to your prearranged collection location throughout the winter months.
What are my responsibilities?
- Place your waste, recycling and organic materials outside your front/side door or garage, as agreed to, by 7:00 a.m. on your collection day.
- Ensure the walkway to your collection location is clear of snow during the winter months
- Notify the City by calling 905-415-7535 if:
- you move from your registered address,
- at any time a person who can assist you on a permanent and/or temporary basis moves into your home,
- you no longer require this service,
- you would like to cancel the service.
- If you have a temporary disability, City staff will re-evaluate your service application annually and may contact you to arrange a home visit to review continuation of this service.
Please call 905-415-7535 for more information on the Assisted Waste and Recycling Collection Service.