Blue box material is collected every week on your regular collection day.
Place clean materials loose in your blue box. Do not bag recyclables.
Material must be set out at your curb by 7 AM on your collection day or after 7 PM the night before (By-law 32-95).
Tips for windy days:
- Don't overload your blue box; keep material below the rim
- Place heavier items such as bundled newspapers and magazines on top of the lighter items
- Flatten small cardboard boxes (e.g. cereal or tissue boxes)
- Put your waste at the curb by 7 AM the morning of your collection day, instead of the night before
- Additional blue boxes can be purchased at any Markham Recycling Depot and you may also drop off your blue box recycling
- Write your address on your blue boxes in permanent marker - makes it easier for them to be returned if they blow away
- All glass bottles, jars, jugs
- All paper products
- All plastic food trays, containers
- All plastic jugs, jars, bottles (#1-7)
- Aluminum foil/trays/plates/packets
- Cardboard (bundled 2’x2x’x1’)
- Coffee cups (paper only)
- Drink boxes/cartons
- Egg carton (paper/plastic)
- Milk cartons
- Paint cans (empty, lids removed)
- Spiral bound containers (chip can)
- Water bottles
- Yogurt containers (clean)
- Batteries – drop off at Markham Community Centres, Libraries and Recycling Depots
- Electronics – drop off at York Region’s Hazardous Waste Depot
- Motor oil, transmission or brake fluid containers check York Region
- Plastic cutlery, drinking straws, coffee cup lids
- Plastic grocery bags, bubble wrap, milk pouches
- Plastic toys or lawn furniture
- Shredded paper
- Styrofoam - drop off at any of Markham's Recycling Depots to recycle
- Textiles - drop off at Markham Fire Stations, Recycling Depots, and the Salvation Army Thrift Store
- Waxed paper
Did you find what you were looking for? If not, use our What Goes Where tool to find out where to place your item!
Blue Boxes Can Be Purchased At:
- Markham's Recycling Depots
- Community Centres:
- Angus Glen CC
- Thornhill CC
- Centennial CC
- Milliken Mills CC
Regular (60 litres) $9.00 Large (80 litres) $13.00
Recycling Depots and Community Centres accept: Cheques, Debit
Civic Centre accepts: Cheques, Debit, Visa, MasterCard and Cash
Damaged “Markham” blue boxes can be exchanged at Markham's Recycling Depots, Civic Centre only.
What Happens to my Recyclables?
Markham is responsible for the collection of recyclable materials. The Region of York is responsible for processing Markham's recyclables. Find out what happens to your recycling once it leaves your curb.