Clear Bag Garbage Set Out Rules
Garbage is collected every other week on your regular collection day. Please follow your Waste Collection Schedule.
No black/dark/tinted/coloured/white garbage bags are accepted.
- Residents must use clear bags for garbage.
- Black/dark/tinted/coloured/white garbage bags are not accepted.
- No bag limit.
- Limit of 4 privacy bags.
Hint: Use less bags, empty your household waste baskets directly into your clear garbage bag!
Privacy Bag Guidelines
Markham residents can use up to 4 privacy bags for personal garbage items. Please follow the guidelines listed below:
- No more than 4 small privacy/shopping bags permitted biweekly with your collection
- Privacy/shopping bags may be placed within your clear garbage bag
- You may place privacy/shopping bags (no more than 4) directly into a garbage can biweekly
- Place confidential papers/bills and shredded paper in your Green Bin
Why clear bags? Markham’s garbage will be processed for energy recovery and not landfilled. Clean waste means clean fuel – free of hazardous and electronic material that should never be thrown in the garbage!
Using clear bags for garbage also keeps our collectors safe from injuries and supports Markham’s Mandatory Separation Bylaw, everyone must do their part! Clear bags set out for garbage collection that contain large amounts of recyclable material may not be collected and a notice will be left with the resident.
Spring and Fall Clean Up Days
Markham has Spring and Fall Clean up days in May and September so you can get rid of your unwanted, non-reusable items. Garbage must still be contained in a clear bag. Hazardous waste, electronics and appliances are not collected on Clean Up Days. Appliances and scrap metal items always require a special collection appointment. Please call 905-415-7535 to book.
Garbage must be set out at your curb for collection by 7:00 am on your collection day; but not earlier than 7:00 pm the day before collection. The time of collection in your area can change at any time without notice (By-law 32-95).
Garbage can be set out for collection in any combination of the following:
- Regular size clear garbage bag, under 18 kg
- Garbage can (0.5 m x 0.9 m), under 18 kg
- 1 group of 4 privacy bags of garbage, under 18 kg
Some items require preparation before putting them out for collection. For example:
- Carpets must be rolled up and tied with rope or string. Make sure the rolled carpet is safe to handle, with no protruding nails or staples. Carpet rolls cannot be longer than 1.2 m in length or weigh more than 18 kg. Maximum 8 rolls per set out.
- Wood must be bundled and tied securely with rope or tape. Each bundle must be under 1.2 m in length and not heavier than 18 kg. Make sure the bundles of wood are safe to handle by removing all the nails or by hammering them in.
- Broken Glass must be placed in a cardboard box, sealed shut and labelled "broken glass". Glass sheeting (from a window pane) must be taped with masking tape and completely covered with cardboard to cover any exposed or sharp edges so that it is safe to handle.
In the winter, please place your materials at the side of the end of your driveway. Please do not put your garbage on top or behind snow banks.
Garbage will not be collected if it is:
- Containing significant amounts of organic or recyclable material
- Electronic waste or electronic equipment and household batteries
- Loose material
- In a dark garbage bag
- In an oversized container/cart
- In a cardboard box
- Grass clippings
- Leaf/yard waste
- Hazardous waste such as motor oil and batteries
- Beverage containers
- Sharp edged such as broken glass, unless properly sealed, covered and labelled "broken glass".
- Automotive waste such as tires
- Construction or demolition waste such as concrete
- Medical waste such as needles
- Carcass of any animal, or live animal or bird
- Radioactive waste
- Liquid waste
- Manure, hay or straw
Bulky items are collected on your regular garbage day. A special collection appointment is NOT required.
Bulky items include:
- Television consoles
Bulky items that are NOT accepted on your regular collection day include:
- Household metal items
- Household metal furniture
Televisions can be dropped off at York's Household Hazardous Waste & Electronics Recycling Depot.
Appliances and scrap metal items require a special collection appointment. Please call 905-415-7535.
Garbage can be dropped off at the Public Drop-Off Weekend Collection Centre. Fee's apply.
What Happens to my Garbage?
The Region of York processes Markham's garbage. Find out what happens to your garbage once it leaves your curb.