If you have questions about whether the information in this section applies to you please call us at 905.415.7535.
What Goes in the Recycling Containers?
Check out this list of what is recyclable in your building.
Not sure if an item is recyclable? Look it up using the What Goes Where tool.
What Can't go in the Recycling Containers?
- No Styrofoam - (foam meat trays, egg cartons, etc.) Please bring to any of Markham's Recycling Depots to recycle
- No plastic film: plastic wrap, plastic grocery bags, bubble wrap, milk pouches
- No plastic cutlery, drinking straws
- No plastic toys or lawn furniture
- No hazardous waste such as paint or motor oil. Hazardous waste should be taken to York's Household Hazardous Waste Depot for disposal
Please do not place recyclable's in plastic grocery bags and toss them inside the recycling carts/dumpster. Grocery bags need to be emptied of contents and then placed in the garbage. Plastic grocery bags are not recyclable in your building's recycling program.
How to Get a Blue Box or Blue Bag
Blue Boxes and bags can be purchased at Markham's Recycling Depots.
Recycling Depots accept cheques and Interac only (no cash).
- Recyclable's should be placed loosely in your buildings recycling containers and not in plastic bags.
- Cardboard must be flattened before placing in the recycling container(s).
- Oversized cardboard can be brought to any Markham Recycling Depots.
Appliances & Scrap Metal Items
Appliances and metal items are collected by appointment only. Please contact us at 905-415-7535 to book and pay for a collection appointment.
Bulky items such as sofas, chairs, furniture and mattresses must be placed in the garbage dumpster for collection. If this is not possible, a private collection may be required. Please contact your superintendent for instructions.
Helpful Tips for Superintendents/Property Managers
- Markham provides weekly municipal collection of garbage and recycling.
- Organics collection is currently being phased in to all buildings.
- Garbage and organics are collected every Wednesday, and recycling is collected every Tuesday.
- Please have your bins out for collection in your designated area by 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection.
- If access to your bins is blocked or bins are not out, our contractor is not required to go back until the next week.
- Collection days may be affected by a holiday. It is recommended that if a statutory holiday lands on a collection day that the Property Managers contact us at 905-415-7535.
- The collection area and access route must be clear of vehicles, snow, ice and other possible obstructions that may not allow the collection of materials.
View printed Multi-residential Recycling Resource materials for superintendents.
Ministry of the Environment Regulations
The Ministry of the Environment in the province of Ontario requires all owners of multi-residential buildings with six or more dwelling units to implement a recycling program for its residents under regulation 103/94. For more information on this Regulation please visit www.e-laws.gov.on.ca
If your apartment building does not have a recycling program, we would like to speak to you. Call us at 905.415.7535.