NEW – Leaf and Yard material collection is extended into December beginning in 2013.
Leaf and Yard material is collected every other week from late March to December, weather permitting. For leaf and yard material collection dates in your area, please follow your Waste Collection Schedule.
What is Accepted as Leaf & Yard Material?
YES, We Accept:
- flowers/garden plants
What is Not Accepted as Leaf & Yard Material?
NO, We Do Not Accept:
- grass/thatch clippings
- animal droppings
- driveway/road sweepings
- tree stumps/root balls
- tree branches/brush larger than 6 inches in diameter or longer than 4 feet in length
Markham does not collect grass or thatch clippings. Use a mulching lawnmower and leave grass clippings on your lawn. You can also recycle them in a backyard composter or bring them to the Public Drop-off Weekend Collection Centre.
Leaf & Yard Material Rules
- There is no limit to the amount of leaf and yard materials you can place out for collection.
- Place leaf and yard materials out for collection in biodegradable kraft paper bags, open rigid containers or bushel baskets. Do not place leaf and yard material for collection in any type of plastic bag.
- Place branches and brush out in string tied bundles (no wire) making sure each individual branch does not exceed 6 inches in diameter, the bundles are not longer than 4 feet in length and do not weigh more than 40 pounds.
- Cardboard boxes are not acceptable containers for the collection of leaf and yard material waste.
- Do not mix your leaf and yard material with garbage. Leaf and yard materials are compostable and banned from landfill. Any garbage containing leaf and yard materials will not be collected.
- Place leaf and yard material at the curb before 7:00 a.m. on your Scheduled Collection Day but not earlier than 7:00 p.m. the night before pick up (Bylaw 32-95).
- All containers, bags and bundles must not weigh more than 40 pounds.
Leaf & Yard Material Public Drop-Off
Markham residents may deliver leaf and yard material for composting to:
Leaf & Yard Material Labels
Yard waste labels are available to place on the side of garbage cans to signal to collectors that the material inside is leaf and yard material. It is not mandatory to use yard waste labels. All acceptable leaf and yard material will be collected from re-useable containers whether labelled or not. Yard waste labels are available at the Civic Centre and at all Markham Recycling Depots.
Free Compost Giveaway
Markham gives away free compost each Spring. Bring your own shovel/containers. Markham residents only. There is a 6 container limit and one visit per vehicle.