Keep Markham Beautiful
Keep Markham Beautiful – all year long!
Each year, thousands of members of the community are helping keep Markham beautiful by cleaning up litter on our streets, walkways, school yards and parks. You too can lend a hand. Get a group together – friends, neighbours, students, or coworkers and register a community clean up throughout the year!
Register your event and receive FREE clean-up kits
Call 905-477-5530 or send an email with your name, address and phone number to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clean-up kits (based on a 25 person count) include: GLAD® clear garbage bags, GLAD® blue tinted bags for recyclables and gloves (I glove per person)
Thank you to GLAD Canada who has sponsored Markham’s cleanup events for many years.
Markham Civic Centre - 101 Town Centre Boulevard,
Customer Contact Centre – Unionville Doors,
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
What to do after your clean up
Place the bagged material out with your regular household garbage and recycling on your collection day. Bagged recyclables accepted curbside for this program only.
Recyclable materials that are not collected curbside can be dropped off at any Markham Recycling Depot, such as tires and scrap metal.
Community Clean up tips
- Use small grocery bags for easier, individual collection then empty in to larger bag
- Pick up litter in your gloved hand and carry a bag in the other
- Keep recyclable material separate from other waste (use blue tinted bag provided)
*Most of the litter you collect is recyclable (coffee cups, aluminum cans, paper products)
- Wear appropriate and protective clothing – gloves, close toed shoes
- When near or adjacent to a road, be mindful of vehicles at all times
- Leaves, twigs and plants should be left on the ground
- Be mindful not to damage or step on emerging spring plants (shrubs, bulbs, flowers etc.)
- Do not pick up dangerous items (syringes and needles, etc.) report the location of these items at 905-477-5530 or through the Report a Problem function on the Access Markham mobile app
The Adopt-a-Park Program allows community groups, ratepayers associations and local businesses to adopt a park… learn more!