The City of Markham's Snow Windrow Removal Assistance Program is designed to help disabled and elderly residents maintain road access from their driveways during the winter season.
Crews will be dispatched to clear the centre portion of snow windrows (one car width only) on all roads following a 7.5 cm (3") snow fall. Windrows will be cleared within 8 hours after crews plow the road. The City reserves the right to decide when snow windrow service will take place. Also note that the windrow left from the sidewalk plow is not included in this service.
Am I eligible for this service?
In order to qualify for this program, all individual(s) residing in the household must be 60 years or older (proof of age is required) or younger than 12 years of age. If any members of the household are between the ages of 12 years and 60 years, a current and valid doctor’s certificate confirming they are physically unable to clear snow must be provided.
Please note: Residential homes with rear lanes do not qualify for this service because different procedures are in place for snow removal. Snow is pushed straight ahead out of the rear lane and hauled away leaving only a minimal amount of residual snow, which makes this service unnecessary for these areas.
How do I apply?
If you are eligible to receive this service, please submit an application form and provide required documentation.
- New Applications:
- Renewal/Withdrawal Applications: (You must re-apply every year to keep receiving the service.)
- In Person: Visit the Contact Centre counter at the Markham Civic Centre (Unionville entrance)
- Phone: Call us at 905-475-4866 Monday to Friday 8 AM to 5 PM (Thursdays we are open until 7 PM)
Mail or drop off your completed application form to:
The City of Markham
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Attention: Contact Centre – Snow
What are my responsibilities?
- Remove any obstructions at the end of your driveway
- Keep your house number visible and illuminated at all times.
- Notify the City if you move from the address on file or if at any time a person(s) moves into the home on a permanent and/or temporary basis.
If you have any questions or require any additional information with respect to this service, please contact the City of Markham at 905-475-4866 Monday to Friday 8 AM to 5 PM (Thursdays we are open until 7 PM)
Snow Windrow Removal Application Form [PDF]
Please Note: Application is printable on 8 1/2" x 14" Legal-sized paper.