Go directly to MPL's online databases.
What are online databases?
A searchable collection of information. They’re great resources for business research, answering your health questions, homework or research needs and finding magazine, newspaper or journal articles.
Why not just use the internet?
Information in online databases comes from high quality sources. The information is reliable. Anyone can publish information on the internet which means you need to evaluate each site individually and decide if the information is accurate. Most of the information available through online databases is not available on the internet without a charge. We subscribe to the databases so you can access them free 24 hours a day. All you need is an MPL library card. Online databases cover a large range of subjects, interests and levels.
What kind of information will I find?
Subjects covered by MPL’s online databases include health, business, company reports, career information, Consumer Reports, literature, biographies, genealogy, car repair manuals, encyclopedias, literature, science & technology, academic journals and current affairs. The information is available in a variety of formats (print, multimedia, photographs, maps, graphs). Several of MPL’s databases include information in languages other than English.
How do I search the online databases?
A simple Google-like search finds information from multiple databases at the same time.
- enter your search term
- Select one or more subject areas (Health, Consumer Information, etc.)
You can focus your research by searching specific databases. Each individual database has unique features which may not be reflected in your simple search. Try searching an individual database for additional features. Click on “Search by database” and then select a database from the list.
Try searching these popular databases:
- Chilton – step by step auto repair manuals for most popular cars, trucks and SUVs
- Consumer Health Complete - to find the latest medical information in English, French, Chinese, Farsi, Korean and Russian.
- Consumer Reports – up to date evaluations of appliances, technology, cars and household and personal necessities.
- Mango - online, interactive language learning teaches conversational English and 22 other languages
- Reference Canada - to find company information for business across Canada
The Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Tourism, Culture & Sport has generously provided funding for some of the above online resources.