The City of Markham approved property tax and fee relief measures to help residents and businesses experiencing financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This financial assistance includes:
Benefits for Residents
- No late payment (penalty and interest) charges for residential property taxpayers from April 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020:
- Property owners enroled in the Pre-authorized Payment Program (PTP) who are not able to fulfill the April 1, 2020 tax payment, should contact their bank to stop payment of the April 1, 2020 instalment
- For PTP payments beyond April 1, 2020 there is an option to opt out of the program at least two weeks in advance of the instalment date by completing the cancellation form online
- Elimination of the 2020 Stormwater Fee of $50
- Deferral of the April 1, 2020 water rate increase of 7.8%
Benefits for Businesses
- No late payment (penalty and interest) charges for non-residential property taxpayers from October 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020
- Deferral of the 2020 Stormwater Fee, a savings of $560 for a property valued at $2M
- Elimination of the April 1, 2020 water rate increase of 7.8%
- Suspension of the Municipal Accommodation Tax from April 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020, to provide relief to hoteliers
Please continue to make your property tax payments on their original due dates if you are able. Property taxes are critical to ensuring that the City can continue to provide essential and necessary services to the entire community including fire services, and garbage collection as well as maintaining our infrastructure in a state of good repair.
After December 31st, 2020, penalty and interest charges will be charged on all tax accounts (including previous arrears) that are not fully paid. Penalty and interest charges will be reinstated on arrears as of January 1st, 2021.
The City of Markham offers a number of convenient ways to pay your property taxes. Taxpayers can use any of the following easy options to make tax payments:
- Online through your bank
- In person at your bank
- By mail (cheque only)
- Dropbox at the Markham Civic Centre: you can also drop off your payments in the drop box outside the Thornhill Entrance of the Markham Civic Centre. (Note: As of January 1, 2020, cash payments are no longer accepted for property taxes)
- Pre-Authorized Tax Payment Plan: 4, 6 or 11 instalments
For further information on payment options, please visit Markham.ca Tax Payment Options
Residents and businesses are encouraged to sign up and use ePropertyTax online services to monitor their tax accounts and complete transactions.
Stormwater Fee Deferral
Council has eliminated the stormwater fee for residential and non-residential properties in the calendar year 2020.
The 2020 stormwater fee associated with the property type is applied to the final tax bill for each property in the City of Markham:
- Residential Fee: $50 per residential property
- Non-Residential Stormwater Fee: $28 per $100K of Current Value Assessment (CVA)
- Example: Commercial Plaza with a CVA of $2,000,000
- $2,000,000 x ($28 / $100,000) = $560
- A deferral will result in an additional year being added to the Flood Control Program term.
Water Rate Increase Deferral
Council has approved a deferral of the April 1, 2020 water rate increase of 7.8%. This applies to residential and non-residential properties.
NOTE: If you received a Water & Wastewater Rate Changes insert with your water bill announcing a rate increase as of April 1, 2020, please disregard this. Council’s decision to act swiftly for the benefit of our residents during COVID-19 and defer the 2020 water rate increase to 2021 was after the notice was already in production and distribution. Your bills in 2020 will still reflect the 2019 rates. If you have any concerns about your water bill, please call the Contact Centre at 905.477.5530.
Suspension of the Municipal Accommodation Tax (MAT)
Effective April 1, 2020, the MAT will be suspended until December 31, 2020.
- Our Accounts Payable staff will continue to process invoices.
- Our Procurement staff will continue operations.
Services Not Available
- Cash Counters are closed to the public until further notice.
- The public is encouraged to use eProperty Tax online services to complete their transaction or at their financial institution.
- You can also pay by cheque using the drop box which is located outside the Markham Civic Centre (Thornhill Entrance). Please include your contact information including email address so City staff can provide a receipt.
- For Development Charges that require payment by cheque, please ensure you include the bill number on the cheque. The cheque must be deposited into a drop box located outside the Markham Civic Centre (Thornhill Entrance).
- Please do not leave Cash in the dropbox.