Markham Council has approved a Financial Assistance Plan for the Sanitary System Downspout Disconnection Program to assist homeowners with the cost to disconnect their downspouts from the sanitary sewer.
Only homeowners who receive a disconnection notice from the City will be eligible.
Details of the Financial Assistance Plan
- The City will reimburse 80% of the cost for completing the downspout disconnection, up to a maximum of $500;
- The City will reimburse 100% of the cost for a rain barrel purchased by the home owner, up to a maximum of $150.
Steps to file for partial cost reimbursement
- Fill out the Financial Assistance Application Form and submit to the City along with all original/photocopy receipts by mail, e-mail or fax. Please specify in the submission “Downspout Disconnect - Financial Assistance Application”.
- Once the City receives your application package, City staff will contact the homeowner to arrange for an inspection of the disconnected downspouts.
- After verifying the downspouts have been disconnected properly, the City will then process the application and a cheque will be sent out to the homeowner.