Proclamation and Community Flag Raising
The City of Markham can recognize special people, events, organizations, and groups in our community.
- Celebrate achievements
- Raise public awareness about important issues in Markham
- Recognize a special day, week or month
Proclamations aren't endorsements by the City. They are approved by the City Clerk using our Council-Approved Policy.
We can't issue proclamations for:
- People, events, organizations, or community groups with no interest or relationship to the City;
- Political parties or political organizations;
- Religious organizations or religious events;
- Businesses or commercial enterprises;
- Illegal matters and matters that go against corporate policies or by-laws;
- Matters that hurt the integrity of the City;
- Discriminatory or inflammatory matters;
- Matters designed to incite hatred or disorder; or,
- Matters that aren’t truthful.
Community Flag Raisings
Flags and symbols of nations, territories, and community organizations are important to Markham residents. The City has used special flag raisings to raise public awareness of:
- National or independence days
- Multicultural events
- Fundraising drives
- Historical commemorations
Markham also flies flags at half-mast. This is done during periods of official mourning or to commemorate sad occasions that are important to our community.
A flag raising can recognize a particular day or week.
Flag Raising requests will only be approved by the City Clerk using our Council-Approved Policy.
We cannot raise a flag for:
- Political parties
- Religious groups
- Fundraising drives that are political in nature
- Groups, organizations, or events that promote events that go against City policy
There may be other reasons we can’t raise a flag for your cause. The Clerk can let you know whether your application is appropriate or not.
Please make a flag raising request at least 3 weeks in advance using our Online Request Form.
Proclamation & Flag Raising Request Form
Please make a request for a proclamation or flag raising at least 3 weeks in advance using our Online Request Form.
You can also contact us with your questions:
By e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail at:
City of Markham
Legislative Services Department
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3
By phone at 905-477-7000 extension 2366