Understand Your City Budget & Stay Informed!
Members of Council and City staff aim to give Markham residents value for their tax dollars. Each year, the City passes a budget to determine how funds will be spent.
The budget supports city operations and over 40 services, including:
- Fire and emergency services
- Roads, bridges and sidewalks maintenance
- Parks and sports fields maintenance
- Waste and recycling collection
- Water and wastewater services
- Recreation and library services
- Maintenance of City facilities
- Infrastructure replacement
- City planning and development
- Arts and culture
- Bylaw enforcements and licensing
- Office support and administration
The Budget Committee and General Committee discuss the draft budget during a series of meetings. A proposed budget will be presented to Council for final decision on March 19, 2019. All meetings are open to the public.