I am a 32-year resident of Markham’s Ward 1 having chosen Thornhill as the place I wanted to live after graduating from university. It’s here that I raised my family, operated a business and volunteered.
Markham is a well-managed city with great services and I am proud to live here, represent our community on Council, and work hard every day to make it better.
My background includes being elected at age 26 as a Public School Trustee on the York Region District School Board where I served for six years. In addition, I have served:
- As a Board member and Chair, Planning & Finance Committee of the Markham Theatre
- As a member of Markham’s Heritage Committee
- As a member of the Parent Advisory Council of Thornhill Secondary School
- As a member of the citizen panel responsible for rewriting the Thornhill Heritage District Guidelines
- As an executive member of the Ward One South Resident’s Association
- As a member, from 2014 to 2019, of Markham’s Advisory Committee on Accessibility
- As a member of the Society for the Preservation of Historic Thornhill (SPOHT) since 1988
Since January 2017 I have been a member of The Heintzman House Board of Directors and I am now serving my third year as Chair. I count having coached hockey with the Thornhill Community Hockey League –playing at the Thornhill Community Centre and Clatworthy arenas – for six years, and sponsoring a team, as the highlight of my community involvement.
I began my career with Canadian Pacific Limited where I held a number of progressive management positions culminating in Senior Manager, Public Affairs with Canadian Pacific Railway. Before starting my own business in 1998, I served as Vice President with Canada's largest independently owned public relations firm. Prior to that, I was Director of Corporate Communications in the Canadian office of one of the world's largest public and government relations agencies.
For the past 22 years I have owned and operated my own Thornhill-based corporate communications consultancy, providing strategic communications counsel, advice and writing services to clients across a number of industries including retail, pharmaceuticals, technology, telecommunications, transportation, banking and renewable energy. I have written on a variety of subjects for "Special Editorial Reports" in The Globe & Mail. I am also a guest presenter for the “Introduction to Professional Practice” course at Ryerson University that introduces students to the practice of professional communications.