The City of Markham reviewed its ward boundaries in 2013. Markham had grown a lot since the last review in 2005. As a result, some wards had many more people than others. This review recommended that Markham change the wards to reflect population differences across the City. The review looked at:
- Representation by population
- Protection of communities of interest and neighbourhoods
- Present and future population trends
- Physical features as natural boundaries
- The overriding principle of “effective representation"
Here is the interim report, and here is the final report. Markham City Council passed the Ward Boundary Review Bylaw 2013-29 on March 19, 2013.