Corporate Energy Management Plan
About the Corporate Energy Management Plan
The Corporate Energy Management Plan (CEMP) was created to improve the City of Markham’s energy management strategies, resources, and effectiveness. The CEMP illustrates key areas for actions that the City intends on pursuing to better manage energy and maintain its status as a Leader in Sustainability.
The CEMP is intended to meet all of the criteria established by; Ontario Regulation 507/18: Energy Conservation and Demand Management Plans, International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 50001, and Partners in Climate Protection’s (PCP) Corporate Milestones One to Five.
Green Energy Act’s Ontario Regulation 397/11: Energy Conservation and Demand Management
The 2009 Green Energy Act called for all public agencies to annually report energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions beginning July 1st, 2013 and every year thereafter with Ontario Regulation (O.Reg) 397/11. Additionally, O.Reg 397/11 mandated that all public agencies prepare, report, and implement energy conservation and demand management plans by July 1, 2014 and update that plan every 5 years thereafter.
On January 1, 2019, the Green Energy Act, 2009 was repealed, along with its regulations. Select conservation and energy efficiency initiatives, such as the Broader Public Sector (BPS) energy reporting regulation, were moved to the Electricity Act, 1998. O. Reg. 397/11 was replaced by O. Reg. 507/18 (BPS: Energy Reporting and Conservation & Demand Management Plans).
Ontario Regulation 507/18 Energy Reporting and Conservation & Demand Management Plans require the following of Markham:
- Completion, publication, and submission to the Ministry of Energy and our website with Markham’s Energy Consumption and Greenhouse Gas Emission Template for one year of operations by July 1, 2013 and annually thereafter
- 2011 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 397/11 [PDF]
- 2012 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 397/11 [PDF]
- 2013 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 397/11 [PDF]
- 2014 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 397/11 [PDF]
- 2015 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 397/11 [PDF]
- 2016 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 397/11 [PDF]
- 2017 Energy Consumption Report - Ontario Regulation 507/18 [PDF]
- Development and publication of a 5-year detailed energy conservation and demand management plan with targets approved by senior management by July 1, 2014;
- By July 1, 2019 and every five years thereafter, publish an update to the original plan that reviews energy initiatives implemented, their actual results, and forecast new energy initiatives including estimated energy savings, cost, and timeline: