Markham Municipal Energy Plan
The City of Markham’s Municipal Energy Plan (MEP) – Getting to Zero is a comprehensive long-term city-wide energy plan with the objective of net zero emissions by 2050.
- Markham Municipal Energy Plan — Cover & TOC [PDF]
- Markham Municipal Energy Plan — Section 1 [PDF]
- Markham Municipal Energy Plan — Section 2 [PDF]
- Markham Municipal Energy Plan — Section 3 [PDF]
- Markham Municipal Energy Plan — Section 4 [PDF]
- Markham Municipal Energy Plan — Section -Appendices [PDF]
The goal of the Municipal Energy Plan is to improve energy efficiency, reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions to achieve net zero as outlined in the Greenprint, Markham’s Community Sustainability Plan.
The MEP was developed using energy and population data from 2011 as a baseline to determine how much energy is being consumed by sector and fuel type. Milestone targets are identified from 2016 to 2050 to ensure that the City stays on target to reach net zero emissions.
The Definition of Net Zero
Through the development of the Municipal Energy Plan, a definition was created to define net zero emissions by 2050.
The definition is as follows:
A net zero energy emissions Markham is one that has greatly reduced energy needs through efficiency gains and conservation. Annual energy needs for vehicles, thermal, and electricity are met by sustainable and non-fossil fuel sources, carbon offsets and/or carbon sequestration (where feasible within Markham), resulting in an annual net zero balance of greenhouse gas emissions.
The target of net zero is different from “absolute zero” because it allows for some GHG emissions, as long as the emissions are offset, resulting in a balance of zero.
Target carbon emissions based on three scenarios
Getting to ZeroThe long term vision to reach net zero by 2050 is guided by three main principles:
- Decrease overall local energy consumption in all sectors
- Switch to low carbon renewable sources of energy
- Increase local energy generation from renewable sources
City of Markham current energy use
Net zero principles to the City of Markham’s energy systems
For more information, check out the Municipal Energy Plan or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.