Welcome teachers! We look forward to working with you to meet our shared goal of developing life long learners.
Bring Your Class to MPL
We welcome class visits. Creative and interactive programs vary from storytime programs for younger students to book talks, tours and research instruction for assignments. Programs designed to promote reading and build research skills:
- Library Orientation (All Grades) - Get a tour of the library; learn about library membership, library programs, and how to get help with homework.
- Project / Assignment Kick Off: Getting Started (All Grades) - We’ll put aside materials on your unit of study and teach students how to use the library to find print and electronic resources.
- Our Virtual Library (Grades 3-8) - Learn how to use our catalogue to find materials and place holds and how to find electronic resources through our online databases.
We Visit Your School
Can’t come to the Library? We welcome the opportunity to visit your school to
- Talk about the latest books at MPL and all the fun and exciting things that are happening.
- Demonstrate MPL’s catalogue and online databases.
- Participate in your school’s Family Literacy or Welcome to Kindergarten events.
- Attend your staff meetings to talk about how we can work together.
Curriculum Support - 24/7 Online Resources
- Use the online catalogue to find materials in many formats (books, CDs, DVDs, downloadable books and media)
- Free online access to databases especially selected for kids. We’ve made it easy to use. Your students can search an individual database like World Book to find great multimedia and features like language support. Or, they can search all the kids databases at once to find articles and resources. We offer a Google-like search except safer and more accurate. See our Web Research Tips page page for more information.
Want to know more about what MPL can do for you and your students? Call or visit your local Markham Public Library branch.