Resources for Teens
Markham Public Library has many resources and research tools for teens.
Volunteer for School Credit
High-school students can volunteer at the library. You can get your community service credits here.
Volunteer jobs include:
- Help with events and festivals
- Lead programs
- Read to kids
Visit our Volunteering page for more information.
Books & Book Clubs
Looking for your next great read? Check out our Staff Picks or join one of our Teen Book Clubs by contacting your local branch.
Digital Media Labs
Looking to create digital media content? Aaniin, Angus Glen and Thornhill Community Centre branches have Digital Media Labs for creating multimedia projects. You can create and share videos, podcasts, sound recordings, and graphic designs—all for free with your MPL card! Sign out the gadgets you need (like cameras), then edit your project with specialized software in-studio.
Working on a tough assignment? Go beyond Google! Our online databases are available 24/7. The information is more reliable that what you find on the Internet.
Use your MPL library card and PIN to search the online databases. There are more than 100 databases. Topics include:
- Homework help
- Teen health and wellness
- Canadian news and information
- And much more
Research Tools for Students
We’ve added new resources for students. These are available online:
- Biography in Context .Biographic information. Learn about people from all eras and fields. Search for people by name, occupation, nationality, ethnicity, birth/death dates and places, or gender.
- Canadian Points of View Reference Center. Understand different points of view. Get up to date on controversial subjects.
- General OneFile Updated daily. News and magazine articles. Topics include: business, technology, current events, education, environmental issues, health care, literature and art, law, politics, science, sports, ad more. The articles can be translated into eight different languages.
- Literature Resource Center. Information about more than 130,000 writers in all disciplines. Writers from all eras and locations.
- Teen Health and Wellness Information for teens on many topics. Topic include: diseases and conditions, drugs and alcohol, nutrition and fitness, and sexual health.
- Vocations & Careers Collection Information about how to find the right school. How to search for a job How to be successful in a career. Career guides, industry journals and more.
- World Book Discover Reference resources for students with unique needs. Great for reluctant readers, ELL, ESL, and adult literacy students.
- World Book Reference Center. Get the entire World Book Encyclopedia online! Plus, primary source documents, computer tutorials, government resources, and more. Great for advanced research and information seekers.
- World History Collection Find current thought on world history. Learn about historical events. Get scholarly work in the field. Great for novice historians and the advanced academic researchers.