Monument to William Berczy is a bronze monument to honour William Berczy (1744-1813). Berczy helped John Graves Simcoe establish a settlement destined to become the Town of Markham. Born in Germany, Berczy spent his early years in Vienna, studied in Italy, and worked in England. In 1794, he led a group of German pioneers to Markham. He was both a protector and mentor to them. Together they built houses and roads in Markham township and Toronto, and cleared the way for navigation on the Rouge River. Berczy was renowned as one of Canada’s finest artists. His most famous portraits were of Mohawk chief Thayendanegea (Joseph Brant), and the Woolsey Family. They are depicted on the monument’s columns, along with an early map of Markham. During the War of 1812, Berczy travelled to New York City. When he tried to leave for England, he became stranded and died in the city. Designated a National Historic Person in 2016, his good name and legacy lives on in Markham through William Berczy Public School and Berczy Village, and in Toronto in Berczy Park.
Marlene Hilton Moore has been a recipient of many Public Art Commissions over the last fifteen years. These commissions frequently feature life-size bronze representations of historical figures, which can be found at Confederation Square in Ottawa, Ocean City in Mississippi, Wilfird Laurier University, the McMurtry Gardens of Justice, and the Simcoe County Museum in Barrie among others. Marlene Hilton Moore is an also an award-winning artist who exhibits her work in solo and group exhibitions throughout Canada. Her work is in the collection of the Canada Council Art Bank, Sir Wilfred Laurier University, Agnes Etherington Art Gallery, University of Winnipeg, and other public and private collections. In 2014, Hilton Moore received the City of Barrie’s Excellence in the Arts Award for her contribution to art and the community. Hilton Moore resides in Hillsdale, Ontario and in 2010 retired from teaching at Georgian College’s School of Design and Visual Arts in Barrie.
This piece is located at Berczy square, Upper Unionville.
North east corner of Kennedy Road and 16th Avenue