Effective January 1, 2019, all applications for building permits, demolition permits, sign permits, plumbing permits, certified models, alternative solutions, shop drawings and Zoning Preliminary Reviews must be submitted using ePLAN. Paper applications will no longer be accepted for these application types.
Online (electronic) Application
All ePLAN applications are submitted online using the ePLAN portal.
- Applicant creates a new account or logs in to an existing account
- Applicant creates a Customer Account with Markham’s ePLAN system.
- Once logged into ePLAN, Applicant requests a new application. A non-refundable Pre Application Fee of $100 must be paid before drawings can be uploaded.
- Applicant uploads drawings directly to ePLAN.
- Markham staff conduct a Pre Screen review to confirm the project complies with our Submission Standards.
- Once the submission passes the Pre Screen Review, it becomes a permit application. The date of application is the date that Pre Screen is approved.
- All plans review and any required resubmissions are conducted electronically.
- You will receive an email notification when reviews have been completed
- Log in to review mark-ups and comments
- Resubmit revised plans and documents for further review (until approval)
- You will receive an email notification when plans review is completed.
- When the permit is issued, login to download the approved plans and documents.
- Applicants are responsible for printing the permit card, permit placard and one (1) set of approved plans for use on site.
All ePLAN applications must comply with our Submission Standards.
For detailed information on using ePLAN for building permit applications, please review our online ePLAN Steps to Success guide. See our ePLAN Guides and Tutorials for additional resources on using ePLAN with building permit applications.
In-Person (paper) Applications
Pool Enclosure permit applications can be submitted in person at the Building Standards Department Counter at the address below. Refer to the Pool Enclosure section in our Guide to Building Permits for a list of the forms, documents and drawings required to be submitted.
City of Markham Building Standards Department Counter
Ground floor, Milliken entrance
101 Town Centre Boulevard
Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3
Monday to Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM