Building Permit Process
The City of Markham makes it easy to get a building permit!
Follow the three steps below to get your permit.
Confirm whether your project needs a permit and which zoning requirements and applicable laws apply to your property.
Before planning your project, find out what Zoning By-laws and other Applicable Laws apply to your project.
Find out how to apply for a building permit.
Please see our online Guides to Building Permits. It shows the forms, drawings and documents you need to send us for each type of permit application.
Your building permit application must include:
When and how to request a building inspection.
All new construction in Markham must have an inspection done by City Building Officials. Buildings must meet the health and safety requirements of the Ontario Building Code, the Building Code Act, the Building By-law and other applicable law and standards. Staff also do special investigations of illegal construction and unsafe buildings.
The following is a list of typical projects that require inspection:
- All commercial, industrial and institutional projects
- All commercial and industrial tenant projects
- All housing projects, including additions and renovations
- Change of Use projects
- Life safety systems
- On-site sewage systems
- Public swimming pool construction
- Commercial kitchen exhaust systems and the fire suppression system
- Spray booth exhaust systems and the fire suppression system
- Dust collection systems