Markham 2020 Strategy Update
The City of Markham's 10-year Economic Strategy – Markham 2020 | Markham's Global Future – was first adopted by Council in 2008. The strategy is a vision for the Markham of tomorrow and a set of plans to make that vision a reality.
It has proven to be a very successful blueprint, guiding the City’s economic development program for nearly seven years, to foster a robust and growing local economy.
Markham 2020 Strategy Review: Final Report
In 2015, Council approved a four-phase performance review of Markham 2020. Download the Markham 2020 Final Report [PDF].
Review Process: Analysis and Reflection
A Council-approved four-phase program was undertaken to assess the performance of Markham 2020 to-date and consider opportunities for strategy enhancement.
Phase 1: Research
- Research performance data and consult with stakeholders – May to August 2015
Phase 2: Community Engagement
- Series of open house style public meetings and webinars – October 2015 – January 2016
Phase 3: Open House + Keynote Speakers (April 6, 2016)
- Open House
- Presentations and Webinar; industry experts from TD Bank, York University, Seneca College, Scotia Bank
Phase 4: Findings and Recommendations (June 2016)
- Presentation to Economic Development Committee / Council
- Publish report
Markham 2020 Community Engagement Process: Open House Meeting Series
September 8, 2015 – Performance Review of the City’s 10-Year Economic Strategy
October 26, 2015 – Priority Sectors: Convergence of ICT and Life Sciences; Information, Entertainment and Cultural Industries; Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services; Finance and Insurance
November 9, 2015 – Multi-national and Large Enterprises, and Foreign Direct Investment
- Multi National and Large Enterprises, FDI Presentation
February 29, 2015 – Small and Medium Sized Enterprises, and Commercialization of Technology and Innovation
- Small and Medium Sized Enterprises Presentation