Destination Markham Corporation (DMC) is a newly incorporated entity with the purpose to promote Markham as a remarkable destination for visitors, including tourists, sport and festival attendees, meeting and conference delegates, and business travellers. The Destination Markham Corporation is governed by a Board of Directors who are responsible for the overall stewardship and management of the Corporation.
The key tourism objectives are to research, develop, market and grow Markham’s tourism economy. This initiative will collaborate with the hotel industry, festival-event-conference-travel planners, attraction operators, cultural institutions, sports tourism promoters, entertainment and recreation providers, restaurants and related service businesses and the City of Markham.
- Take a leadership role in promoting and marketing Markham as a leading destination for tourism, leisure and business travel with an emphasis on promoting overnight stays.
- Take a leadership role in promoting developments and investments that increase and enhance Markham’s attractiveness as a tourism destination and as an economic sector generating employment and taxable assessment.
- Collaborate with stakeholder organizations such as Central Counties Tourism, Markham Board of Trade, the Region of York tourism organizations, and other business, government and not for profit organizations in delivering programming that attracts greater spending and investments in Markham.\
- evelop relationships with tourism stakeholders and other levels of government.
- Develop and implement Destination Management strategies and activities that reflect Markham’s unique character, its cultural and built heritage, natural features, diverse ethnic communities, social and cultural traditions, recreational and sports assets, and business development opportunities.
- Seek to leverage the transit and infrastructure investments made by the City, York Region and the Province of Ontario to build exciting tourism offerings and a sense of place in key areas such as Downtown Markham, local village cores, and other strategic areas.
- Undertake its work based on an informed and objective decision-making process that is accountable and transparent, resulting in city-wide benefits.
As part of Destination Markham’s commitment to supporting tourism in Markham, and with the support of the FedDev/TIAO program, the Destination Markham Tourism/hospitality Business Recovery Plan focuses on providing four key essential elements:
- Assisting Businesses with Re-opening and Recovery
- Consumer Education Ensuring Health and Safety
- Marketing Campaign to promote tourism in Markham and #Markham Safe initiative
- Business and Consumers interface (in-person/online): “Markham Safe” Squad/Ambassadors
Learn more about Destination Markham at visitmarkham.ca.