The City of Markham is seeking seasoned professionals and tourism-related business leaders to serve as Board Directors on the City of Markham’s recently incorporated DMC.
The City of Markham is a dynamic and high-growth municipality that is centrally located in the Greater Toronto Area, in the centre of Ontario’s innovation corridor. Known for event and entertainment facilities such as the Markham Pan Am Centre (host of the World Junior Badminton Championships and Women’s World Cup of Table Tennis) and the Flato Markham Theatre, and home to major events including the Markham Jazz Festival, Taste of Asia, Night it Up, Markham Fair, Markham-Milliken Children’s Festival, and more. Markham is also home to a wide variety of international cuisine.
Markham is recognized as a vibrant and diverse meeting, tourism and entertainment destination that provides residents and visitors with exceptional experiences. The DMC and Board of Directors will serve as key strategic drivers in strengthening and expanding Markham’s tourism economy.
Key Board responsibilities include:
- Participate in setting, implementing and monitoring strategic marketing direction, including multi-year marketing plans promoting Markham as a tourism and attractive destination
- Generate economic and tourism growth by identifying and promoting opportunities to attract strategic investments and infrastructure
- Facilitate a high level of marketing collaboration amongst Markham’s tourism key stakeholders
Key skills and requirements include:
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: finance, legal, marketing, operations, economic development
- Sound judgement, personal integrity and business expertise related to the tourism industry and on a Board of Directors
- Knowledge of Markham and experience in public-private partnerships would be an asset
- Attend and actively and effectively participate in Board meetings and on Board matters