Three types of development charges within the City are imposed under a number of by-laws. They are:

  • City-Wide Soft development charge (CWS) by-law 2017-117;
  • City-Wide Hard development charge (CWH) by-law 2017-116; and
  • Area-Specific development charge (ASDC) by-laws 2017-118 to 2017-136, inclusive.

Do I have to pay?

You may be required to pay development charges for any residential or non-residential development if you are:

  • erecting a new (not replacement) building(s)
  • making an addition or alteration to an existing building(s) which increases the gross floor area or number of units
  • redeveloping a property or properties which result in a change of use

Who collects these charges?

The City of Markham also collects regional development charges and education development charges. The City sends the non-City charges to the Region of York, the York District School Board and the York Catholic District School Board. Each region or board sets its own development charges and makes its own exemptions.

When are the charges collected?

Subdivisions pay some of the charges when they execute the subdivision agreement. The rest is paid at the building permit stage. You must pay all development charges before you can get a building permit

What is an area specific development charge?

The City wants to make sure that development charges are applied fairly. Some areas benefit from specific services and infrastructure and pay a special charge.

Landowners who build services for the City can enter into a credit agreement with the municipality and receive a reduction on the area charge.

How much can I expect to pay?

Development Charges are updated on January 1st and July 1st of each year. They change according to the Statistics Canada Quarterly Construction Price Statistics Index. You can see Markham's current development rates in the next section of this page.

Your charges depends on:

  • The development type - Is it residential or non residential? -Is it a single detached home or apartment?
  • The development size- For residential developments, a combination of the site area (in net hectares) and the number and type of dwelling units. For non-residential development, a combination of the gross floor area and site area (in net hectares).
  • The development location - Some areas may need to pay an area-specific development charge. This charge is based on the site area (in net hectares).
  • Indexing of charge rates - Each city or board indexes its charges from time to time.
  • Exemptions - In some cases, the City will approve an exemption. For example, if your development replaces some of the floor area eliminated via a demolition, you may receive an exemption. However, you will need to show beforehand that your proposed development is entitled to an exemption. Please check with each jurisdiction to see if you qualify.
Complementary Content