Markham offers the following heritage financial assistance programs.
- Heritage Property Tax Reduction Program
Get an annual property tax refund to help offset the additional maintenance costs associated with conserving the heritage features on your designated property. Municipal and education tax components can be reduced by 30%.
- Heritage Property Tax Brochure [PDF]
- Heritage Property Application fillable form [PDF]
- Heritage Property Tax Rebate By-Law [PDF]
- Heritage Loan Fund [PDF]
Need a short term loan to restore heritage features or replicate lost features on your designated property?
- Commercial Facade Improvement Grant [PDF] Commercial Facade Improvement Application Form (PDF 3k/1p) Obtain matching grants of up to $15,000 to assist in the restoration or improvement to exteriors of commercial properties in heritage districts. To restore and improve commercial building façades (heritage and non-heritage) in heritage districts/main street areas.
- For Heritage Properties, projects may include repair or restoration of original features, windows, doors, masonry work and removal of non-original materials
- For Non-Heritage Properties, project may include renovation of storefronts and the introduction of more traditional materials.
Amount: 50% of the eligible costs to a maximum of $10,000 per property ($15,000 for heritage buildings).
Application deadline for both programs: February 28, 2021.
- Commercial Signage Replacement Grant Information [PDF]
Replace inappropriate commercial signage in a heritage district. This grant helps to fund the production and installation of new signage.
- Designated Heritage Property Grant Program [PDF]
Restore heritage features or replicate lost features of your designated property using this new grant program which can provide up to $5,000 in funding. To assist owners of heritage properties designated under the Ontario Heritage with restoration work.
- Eligible Work includes: improvements which preserve, restore or enhance the specific heritage features of the building (e.g. windows, siding, verandas, fences, etc.)
- Amount: 50% of the eligible conservation work to a maximum of $5,000
- Heritage Reserve Fund
Municipal heritage enhancement projects can benefit from this funding.