Section 45 of the Planning Act empowers the Committee of Adjustment to grant minor variances to an existing bylaw. Minor variances must to meet all of the following 4 tests under the Planning Act:
- The variance requested must meet the general intent and purpose of the bylaw;
- The variance requested must meet the general intent and purpose of the Official Plan;
- The variance requested must be desirable for the appropriate development of the applicable lands, building or structure; and
- The variance requested must be minor in nature.
- The Planning Act also gives the Committee of Adjustment the authority to grant the enlargement or extension of a legal non-conforming use. The Committee of Adjustment can impose conditions if an application is approved. These conditions must be satisfied before a building permit is issued, unless otherwise specified by the Committee.
Please read the application instructions carefully. Submit your application to the Development Services Counter at the Thornhill Entrance, Anthony Roman Civic Centre, 101 Town Centre Boulevard, Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3.
Hearing Dates & Filing Deadlines
Please note – Filing deadlines may be modified at the discretion of the Director of Planning and Urban Design. Please contact the Secretary-Treasurer at 905.475.4721 to confirm filing deadlines.
Scheduling of Minor Variances will be determined by the Secretary-Treasurer. It is anticipated that applications are to be heard within 30 days of submission; however, this timing may change, as necessary to co-ordinate internal department and external agency comments to the Applicants, Committee Members and the Public.
2019 Minor Variance Hearing Dates
|Hearing Dates 2019 (Wednesdays)||Variances(A's) Sign Posting (Tuesdays)||Variances(A's) Last Day for Appeal(Tuesdays)|
|January 23||January 8||February 12|
|February 6||January 22||February 26|
|February 20||February 5||March 12|
|March 13||February 26||April 2|
|March 27||March 12||April 16|
|April 10||March 26||April 30|
|April 24||April 9||May 14|
|May 8||April 23||May 28|
|May 29||May 14||June 18|
|June 12||May 28||July 2|
|June 26||June 11||July 16|
|July 10||June 25||July 30|
|July 24||July 9||August 13|
|August 7||July 23||August 27|
|August 28||August 13||September 17|
|September 11||August 27||October 1|
|September 25||September 10||October 15|
|October 9||September 24||October 29|
|October 23||October 8||November 12|
|November 13||October 29||December 3|
|November 27||November 12||December 17|
|December 11||November 26||December 31|
Please refer to the Minor Variance Application form for current information relating to fees, submission requirements and required plans/drawings.
If you have any further questions, please contact Secretary Treasurer, Committee of Adjustment: