Section 45 of the Planning Act empowers the Committee of Adjustment to grant minor variances to an existing bylaw. Minor variances must to meet all of the following 4 tests under the Planning Act:
- The variance requested must meet the general intent and purpose of the bylaw;
- The variance requested must meet the general intent and purpose of the Official Plan;
- The variance requested must be desirable for the appropriate development of the applicable lands, building or structure; and
- The variance requested must be minor in nature.
- The Planning Act also gives the Committee of Adjustment the authority to grant the enlargement or extension of a legal non-conforming use. The Committee of Adjustment can impose conditions if an application is approved. These conditions must be satisfied before a building permit is issued, unless otherwise specified by the Committee.
Please read the application instructions carefully. Submit your application to the Development Services Counter at the Thornhill Entrance, Anthony Roman Civic Centre, 101 Town Centre Boulevard, Markham, Ontario, L3R 9W3.
Hearing Dates & Filing Deadlines
Please note – Filing deadlines may be modified at the discretion of the Director of Planning and Urban Design. Please contact the Secretary-Treasurer at 905.475.4721 to confirm filing deadlines.
Scheduling of Minor Variances will be determined by the Secretary-Treasurer. It is anticipated that applications are to be heard within 30 days of submission; however, this timing may change, as necessary to co-ordinate internal department and external agency comments to the Applicants, Committee Members and the Public.
Please refer to the Minor Variance Application form for current information relating to fees, submission requirements and required plans/drawings.
If you have any further questions, please contact Secretary Treasurer, Committee of Adjustment: