Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy (Draft), 2020
What are we doing and why?
The City of Markham is developing a new Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy and exploring innovative solutions to address housing affordability. Housing is the foundation of safe, sustainable and complete communities. There is a need for more affordable ownership and rental housing options for low and moderate income households, including seniors, families with children and young adults. The City has a role to play in improving housing choices for Markham residents and is taking action on this important issue.
What is the study process?
Markham has completed a two-phase study to develop a new Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy. The Phase 1 report provides a housing needs assessment of current and emerging housing gaps in Markham. The Phase 2 report provides a proposed draft Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy based on a policy review and initial stakeholder feedback. The draft Strategy contains a vision, 3 goals, 36 actions and an inclusionary zoning framework, which is a new provincial tool that can require affordable housing in residential developments. The study is proceeding to Phase 3: Housing Strategy Consultation.
How can I get involved?
The City will be undertaking consultation on the draft Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy. Please check back regularly to learn more about upcoming engagement opportunities.
Reports and Presentations
Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy reports and presentations:
- Staff Report – Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy: Housing Needs Assessment (April 29, 2019)
- Phase 1 Study – City of Markham Affordable and Rental Housing Study, Phase 1: Housing Needs Assessment (April 2019)
- Presentation – City of Markham Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy, Housing Needs Assessment and Next Steps (April 29, 2019)
- Staff Report – Affordable and Rental Housing Study – Phase 2: Policy Framework and Recommendations (February 24, 2020)
- Phase 2 Study – City of Markham Affordable and Rental Housing Study, Phase 2: Policy Framework and Recommendations (February 2020)
- Presentation – City of Markham Affordable and Rental Housing Strategy, Phase 2: Policy Framework and Recommendations (February 24, 2020)
Additional reports related to Markham’s housing work:
- Staff Report – Federal, Provincial and Regional Affordable and Rental Housing Initiatives (February 25, 2019)
- Staff Report – Update on Provincial and Regional Housing Initiatives (September 5, 2018)
- Staff Report – Affordable and Special Needs Housing Strategy: Draft Strategy and Work Program for an Implementation Plan (April 5, 2011)
External Resources and Partners
The City works with a number of partners to address affordable housing needs. Below are links to key housing initiatives from other levels of government:
- York Region housing and homelessness plan, Housing Solutions: A Place for Everyone
- York Region’s housing page includes information about subsidized housing, emergency and transitional housing and, financial incentives for complete communities
Province of Ontario
- Ontario’s plan to address housing challenges More Homes, More Choice: Ontario’s Housing Supply Action Plan
- Province of Ontario’s Home and Community page includes information on affordable housing and local service managers to find local housing support
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Canada’s National Housing Strategy
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation information on buying and renting a home as well as housing data and research
Darryl Lyons, Manager, Policy
Emily Irvine, Special Projects Coordinator