Markham Road – Mount Joy Secondary Plan Study
What are we doing and why?
The City of Markham’s Official Plan 2014 identifies the need for a new secondary plan for the Markham Road – Mount Joy local corridor. This area is imagined to become:
“a mixed-use local corridor that functions as a main street integrating a range of housing, employment, shopping and recreation opportunities, at transit-supportive densities adjacent to the GO station, to serve the adjacent communities of Berczy Village, Wismer Commons, Greensborough and Swan Lake.”
The Markham Road – Mount Joy Secondary Plan Study was initiated in November 2019 to inform the preparation of the new secondary plan. The Study integrates land use and urban design, transportation, and municipal servicing to plan for a sustainable and complete community.
Where is the Markham Road – Mount Joy Local Corridor?
The Markham Road – Mount Joy Local Corridor is located in the northeast portion of the City’s urban area. The secondary plan area includes lands along both sides of Markham Road from 16th Avenue in the south to Major Mackenzie Drive East in the north, between the Stouffville GO rail line to the east and the westerly limit of properties fronting Markham Road to the west. The study area extends slightly beyond the secondary plan area as shown in the map below.
Markham Road — Mount Joy Secondary Plan area and study area
What is the study process?
The Study will be carried out in multiple phases, and is currently in Phase 3: Vision, Guiding Principles & Demonstration Plan (as shown in the graphic). A draft secondary plan will be prepared for Council adoption after the completion of the Study.
How can I get involved?
The study process includes multiple opportunities for stakeholders and community members to provide input. Visit yourvoicemarkham.ca/yourmarkhamroadmountjoy to find out about upcoming events, or to sign-up to receive updates by email.
Reports and Presentations
Markham Road – Mount Joy Secondary Plan Study reports and presentations:
Phase 1: Project Kick-off
- Presentation – Status Update to Development Services Committee (December 9, 2017)
Phase 2: Background Review and Analysis
- Minutes – Update on Markham Road – Mount Joy Secondary Plan Study and Charrette to Markham Sub-Committee (February 4, 2020)
- Presentation – Revised Design Charrette Approach to Markham Sub-Committee (May 7, 2020)
Phase 3: Vision, Guiding Principles & Demonstration Plan
- Presentation – Design Charrette/Markham Sub-Committee Day 01: Virtual Bus Tour (July 29, 2020)
- Presentation – Design Charrette/Markham Sub-Committee Day 01: Baseline Conditions Overview (July 29, 2020)
- Presentation – Community Information Session (July 29, 2020)
- Presentation – Design Charrette/ Markham Sub-Committee Day 02: Vision, Guiding Principles and Concept Plans (August 5, 2020)
Darryl Lyons, Manager, Policy, e-mail: dlyons@Markham.ca
Lily-Ann D’Souza, Planner II, Policy & Research, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org