Unionville Special Policy Area Boundary Review
The City of Markham is updating the boundary of the Unionville Special Policy Area.
In 2019, the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) prepared updated floodplain mapping in the Unionville community. The updated mapping incorporates changes to vegetation, pervious surfaces, land use, topography and culvert/bridge crossings since the last floodplain study in 2003.
Provincial and municipal planning policy directs new development away from flood hazards to protect public health and safety. Special Policy Areas are areas that have historically existed within the floodplain and where site-specific policies approved by the Province provide for the continued viability of existing uses. In Markham, a Special Policy Area was established in 1990 within the Unionville community to provide for certain development permissions within the floodplain. Section 3.4 of the Markham Official Plan provides policies to manage flood-related risks within the floodplain and Special Policy Area
Study Area Map
- Study Initiation – Preliminary Report to Development Services Committee (completed)
- Community Information Meeting – City and TRCA staff will host an information meeting to inform the public of the new floodplain boundary and the Special Policy Area review process (anticipated for September 2020 — date and time to be announced)
- Analysis and Review – Staff will prepare draft Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments
- Public Meeting – Receive public input into the draft amendments
- Staff Recommendation – Recommendation report to Development Services Committee including the recommended Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments
- Council Decision – Council will adopt, modify or deny the Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendments
- Approval – York Region, in consultation with the Province of Ontario will review and render a decision on the Official Plan Amendment. The City of Markham is the approval authority for the Zoning By-law Amendment
May 24, 2019 – Report to TRCA Board of Directors: Unionville SPA 2D Modelling and Floodplain Mapping Update
October 28, 2019 – Report to Development Services Committee to initiate the SPA process
Senior Planner, Natural Heritage
Phone: 905.477.7000 extension 6922