Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week Banner

Ontario’s Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week runs from November 1 to 7.

Visit our page yourvoicemarkham.ca/FirePrevention for more information, tips and resources.

This week is aimed to bring awareness to carbon monoxide (CO), also known as “the silent killer.” CO is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly. Exposure to CO can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, as well as confusion, drowsiness, loss of consciousness and death.

CO is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, gas or wood fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable fuel-burning heaters and generators and vehicles.

In the Province of Ontario, homeowners are required to provide a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home if the home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.

If you live in a condo or apartment building with a service room, CO alarms must be installed in the service room and adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the service room. In condo or apartment buildings that have a garage, CO alarms must be installed adjacent to each sleeping area of all homes above, below and beside the garage.

For added protection, a carbon monoxide alarm should be installed on every storey of your home and all fuel-burning appliances in your home should be inspected annually by a registered contractor.

If your CO alarm sounds, and you or other occupants suffer from symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the home immediately and call 9-1-1 from outside of the building.

Carbon Monoxide Can Be Deadly! [PDF]

For more carbon monoxide safety tips and information, visit COsafety.ca.

Complementary Content
${loading}